MDT is Gone!

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

maestrob

MDT is Gone!

Post by maestrob » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:06 pm

Just heard from a fellow classical music lover that MDT has closed up shop, headed for bankruptcy. No access to their website either!

So sad! :cry:

I can't find any articles online about the situation. Can anyone here confirm this?

I will miss them.

Rach3

Re: MDT is Gone!

Post by Rach3 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:13 pm

Apparently so, although not entirely clear whether these proceedings are akin to a US Chapter 7 liquidation bankruptcy or a US Chapter 11 reorganization bankruptcy:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/3193757

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:16 pm

Here sounds more like a US Ch. 7, ie they are closing for good:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/3205991/

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:06 pm

WHAT? I cannot believe this. MDT was one of the places I enjoyed doing business with more than just about anyone else. With this demise, it means Amazon/USA-UK will be raising their prices even more (I've been watching this happen already). MDT priced fairly, shipping was fast and accurate, and customer service, if needed, was friendly and fast. So, the question is: where do we go to find someone like them. I had always thought MDT had a large population of customers, especially with a heavy base of American customers. HUGE disappointment for me.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:31 pm

I , too, will miss MDT for all the reasons Lance mentions.

HB Direct may be an alternative ; I used them before MDT , no longer recall why I switched, price perhaps.

I also use frequently UK's Presto Classical for mp3 and/or FLAC downloads , especially since one can often ( not always ) download only part of a cd if not interested in whole cd. I have not ordered a physical cd from Presto yet.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:32 pm

Yes, I have used H&B in the past but it's been a long time. Arkiv is another that can get practically everything, but their prices are high. Presto is an excellent supplier, very good prices, and they charge, I think $1.75/USD for each item, even if it is a 60-CD set. Presto is very dependable and ships fast. Germany also has someone I used to use, but not in years. Their prices are also very high but used to be more competitive with MDT. Our choices are getting thinner and thinner. I'm glad I have assembled what I have and even then, it is ALL to much for one man (and his daughter, as she used to say!). I just looked at Amazon today to see how much the complete Heifetz and Rubinstein editions were selling for: $999.99/each! And a Legend CD with Rubinstein I got for $4/USD is selling for $315.00/USD. The whole thing is ridiculous. Even the original Rubinstein LPs are getting very pricey. I do not do downloading as I want the original issues and in some cases they are becoming hard to find.
Rach3 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:31 pm
I , too, will miss MDT for all the reasons Lance mentions.

HB Direct may be an alternative ; I used them before MDT , no longer recall why I switched, price perhaps.

I also use frequently UK's Presto Classical for mp3 and/or FLAC downloads , especially since one can often ( not always ) download only part of a cd if not interested in whole cd. I have not ordered a physical cd from Presto yet.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]