Robert Casadesus Collection (65 CDs)

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Robert Casadesus Collection (65 CDs)

Post by Lance » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:52 pm

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... SY355_.jpg

It was my distinct pleasure to know members of the Casadesus family, escpecially his wife, Gaby, whose personality and sweetness I very much enjoyed at parties and get-togethers. I knew Robert and Gaby's son, Jean, who was artist-in-residence at Binghamton (NY) University until he was killed in an auto accident in Renfrew, Ontario. Over the years, I have collected Robert's, Gaby's and Jean's recordings as much as possible. Robert, of course, was the best known for his long career and recordings. Now Sony Classical has made the first mega-box of his complete recordings available in 65 CDs, as pictured above. Most of Casadesus' stereo recordings have been reissued, especially the Mozart concertos. Some time ago, French Columbia issued a large set containing many recordings that were heretofore unavailable on CD. This 65-CD set, however, contains all that and more. While there is much repetition in CDs, this appears to be a set marketed for around $200/USD, but there are some items included that have never been issued before.

Here is the blurb on the set:

You have to be a composer yourself to understand the music of others so well, said Maurice Ravel of Robert Casadesus, the great French pianist-composer. This prolific recording artist is the subject of a major new release: Robert Casadesus The Complete Columbia Album Collection. 65 albums honoring Casadesus.
's substantial legacy, with numerous albums including recordings from as early as 1940 reissued by Sony on modern technology for the very first time. Casadesus's close association with Ravel began in 1922, when the composer invited him to record piano rolls of his music and collaborate in performance. His recording of the complete solo piano works dates from 1952, and is complemented by additional Ravel recordings made both earlier and later, including two recordings of the Concerto for Left Hand with Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra. Casadesus also recorded most of Debussy's solo piano works with great success, as well as works by compatriots including Franck, Saint-Saëns, Satie, dIndy, Chabrier and Fauré. His Mozart was especially renowned. Solo recordings complement numerous concerto readings, many made with Ormandy, George Szell and Charles Munch, and a 1951 recording of the B-flat major Piano Concerto No. 27 with the New York Philharmonic and John Barbirolli is here given its first Sony release. Beethoven is also well represented, with sonatas including the Moonlight, Appassionata and Op. 110 as well as the First and Fourth Concertos with Eduard van Beinum and the Concertgebouw Orchestra. But Casadesuss repertoire was much broader. His many Schumann recordings include Waldszenen, the Symphonic Etudes, Carnaval and the Fantasia in C most of these recorded several times and Dichterliebe with Pierre Bernac; and his Chopin Ballades are also reissued here, alongside the Sonatas Nos. 2 and 3. One of Casadesuss most important musical partnerships was with violinist Zino Francescatti, with whom he recorded the newly remastered Beethoven sonatas. The pair also recorded Ravel miniatures, Fauré, Franck and Debussy sonatas, Chausson's Concert for solo violin and piano quintet, Bach's A major sonata, and the three sonatas of Brahms. Casadesuss other frequent collaborator was his wife, Gaby Casadesus. They perform some of Casadesus' own music, as well as pieces by numerous French composers including Ravel contemporary Florent Schmitt, plus Schubert and Bartók. Other compositions by Casadesus include his Nonet and Sextet for chamber ensembles, and concertos for one and two pianos. [/color]
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Re: Robert Casadesus Collection (65 CDs)

Post by maestrob » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:12 am

So much great music, so little room! :wink:

I still have to open that great Szell set, and haven't touched the Murray Perahia box yet either. The Szeryng set sits on my shelf unopened as well, but surely will be played soon, especially his Mozart. So, I must live without Casadesus for the moment......

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:01 pm

Brian: I would hate to see you miss this one! What you might do is sell all your Casadesus CDs thus making more room on your shelves for single CDs, and put the Szell box and the Cadadesus edition under your bed for storage - maybe the Perahia as well! You may have to dust them off on occasion since dust seems to accumulate under a bed! :lol:
maestrob wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:12 am
So much great music, so little room! 😉

I still have to open that great Szell set, and haven't touched the Murray Perahia box yet either. The Szeryng set sits on my shelf unopened as well, but surely will be played soon, especially his Mozart. So, I must live without Casadesus for the moment......
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:38 pm

Definitely of more than passing interest.....
Good music is that which falls upon the ear with ease, and quits the memory with difficulty.
--Sir Thomas Beecham

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:25 pm

Heard a wonderful concert with all 3, Robert,Gaby,Jean,playing 2 and 3-piano concertos by Bach,Mozart,Robert himself,ca.1970 in Minneapolis with then Minneapolis Symphony,no longer recall conductor,probably Sckrowiecezky.

Robert also composed 24 preludes for solo piano, a cd by pianist John Owings worth hearing,and a toccata on same cd.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:09 am

Lance wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:01 pm
Brian: I would hate to see you miss this one! What you might do is sell all your Casadesus CDs thus making more room on your shelves for single CDs, and put the Szell box and the Cadadesus edition under your bed for storage - maybe the Perahia as well! You may have to dust them off on occasion since dust seems to accumulate under a bed! :lol:
maestrob wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:12 am
So much great music, so little room! 😉

:lol:

We already store our linens in a captains' bed under our mattress: no room for CDs there, unless we wrap them in sheets!

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:18 am

The Owings cd of Robert's complete solo piano music ; I enjoy the cd a lot :

http://tinyurl.com/y63qt9ow