Viennese piano bon-bons

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Viennese piano bon-bons

Post by Rach3 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:39 pm

Pianist Shota Nakayama plays Moritz Rosenthal’s “ Carnaval de Vienne ((Humoresque sur des thèmes de Johann Strauss II) “ live,Paris,2017,good quality video,although even the pianist would agree too many and poorly timed head-shots. A wonderful performance ,perhaps there is hope yet :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udtSsx7ZHpo

Godowsky’s transcription of Strauss’ “Wine,Women,and Song” themes,Thomas Labe pianist ( entire Dorian cd at YT,worth the hearing ! ) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79UwzQMhcNw

Man does not live by Op.111 alone.

maestrob

Re: Viennese piano bon-bons

Post by maestrob » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:31 pm

Delightful! Thanks for posting these. :D

John F

Post by John F » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:52 pm

John Francis

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:31 pm

Here ( on auto-play ! ) is Rudolf Buchbinder's wonderful Artek cd of Strauss transcriptions by various composers. I have heard Buchbinder play one or two of these as encores after a Mozart, Beethoven, or Brahms PC. While not as technically demanding, nor as original or varied as the works on the Labe cd linked here earlier, still sparkling playing , enjoyable in small doses. On both cd's ( I have both ) is the ubiquitous Scholz-Evler "Blue Danube", an over-rated work that suffers in comaprison to the others on the cd's.In any event , as John F. correctly points out, once you have heard Lhevinne play the Scholz-Evler, you dont need to hear anyone else play it.

The Buchbinder cd :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1I5yhg ... 963C3965D9

“Speiluhr Polka “, arr. Otto Schulhoff , from that cd :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK0Sqlp ... 963C3965D9

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:30 pm

The Lhevine was great, JohnF, thanks. Am enjoying this thread immensely! :D

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:07 pm

I have that Thomas Labe recording on Dorian … delightful, and of course, Buchbinder's Teldec-Apex-Erato disc of transcriptions. The latter pianist I expect to do a radio tribute to sometime in the future. And John Francis is spot on about the Josef Lhevinne recording. Too bad the pianist didn't make more recordings. A very special pianist/teacher.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:55 pm

Lance wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:07 pm
I have that Thomas Labe recording on Dorian … delightful, and of course, Buchbinder's Teldec-Apex-Erato disc of transcriptions. The latter pianist I expect to do a radio tribute to sometime in the future..
I have high regard for Buchbinder. Dont miss his recent complete Beethoven concerti, all live, in which he also conducts the Vienna Phil. I'm waiting for a cheap copy of the Nos.3 and 5 cd. The Vienna Phil I'd assume is pretty picky about with whom they would do such a project , especially live.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:05 am

Rach3 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:55 pm
Lance wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:07 pm
I have that Thomas Labe recording on Dorian … delightful, and of course, Buchbinder's Teldec-Apex-Erato disc of transcriptions. The latter pianist I expect to do a radio tribute to sometime in the future..
I have high regard for Buchbinder. Dont miss his recent complete Beethoven concerti, all live, in which he also conducts the Vienna Phil. I'm waiting for a cheap copy of the Nos.3 and 5 cd. The Vienna Phil I'd assume is pretty picky about with whom they would do such a project , especially live.
I know I'm drifting off-topic, but Buchbinder's Beethoven Concerti are available on multi-format dvd/blu-ray for $20 on amazon......

You'll also find the complete sonatas on DVD as well.

Belle

Post by Belle » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:30 pm

I've seen this pianist performing twice in Vienna; once at the Musikverein and the other at Wiener Konzerthaus. The first a Beethoven recital and the second one of the concertos.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:21 pm

Rudolf Buchbinder, Montreal Symphony, Kent Nagano, Strauss ‘ virtuosic “ Burlesque “ , Feb.9,2019,live in Montreal, good quality video, free on demand, a guilty pleasure of mine well –played by a pianist I follow :

https://www.medici.tv/en/concerts/kent- ... uchbinder/

You will need to sign up at the link for a free account at “Log In “ top right, takes just couple minutes to do.