Uchida's Debussy Etudes cd

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Uchida's Debussy Etudes cd

Post by Rach3 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:26 pm

Listened tonight to Uchida's Philips cd, ca.1990,of the Debussy Etudes ( my other is late Paul Jacobs' Nonesuch lp ).Amazing music, amazing playing, been too long since I listened to this cd. Perhaps my exposure too limited, but seem to see more live recital attempts at the complete Liszt TE's and Chopin Etudes complete than attempts at the Debussy complete. Have a look at the scores ; eg., # 2 for thirds makes my wrists ache just looking at the score : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FymZsN_NiB4

maestrob

Re: Uchida's Debussy Etudes cd

Post by maestrob » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:33 am

Rach3 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:26 pm
Listened tonight to Uchida's Philips cd, ca.1990,of the Debussy Etudes ( my other is late Paul Jacobs' Nonesuch lp ).Amazing music, amazing playing, been too long since I listened to this cd. Perhaps my exposure too limited, but seem to see more live recital attempts at the complete Liszt TE's and Chopin Etudes complete than attempts at the Debussy complete. Have a look at the scores ; eg., # 2 for thirds makes my wrists ache just looking at the score : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FymZsN_NiB4
I've had that CD since it was first issued, and IIRC I heard her perform The Sunken Cathedral in Carnegie Hall around that time. Her Debussy is magical, no question.

Jean-Efflam Bavouzet has recorded all that Debussy wrote for solo piano, and I recommend him highly as well. A shame Uchida never did a complete Debussy project.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:15 pm

Uchida IS, indeed, a magical pianist. I had the pleasure of meeting her at the Marlboro Festival in Vermont … a lovely person. I'm not familiar with Bavouzet (see Brian, I don't have EVERYTHING!). How does, to you, these Debussy Etudes compare to the great Walter Gieseking who was so well noted for his impressionistic music?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:29 am

Lance wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:15 pm
Uchida IS, indeed, a magical pianist. I had the pleasure of meeting her at the Marlboro Festival in Vermont … a lovely person. I'm not familiar with Bavouzet (see Brian, I don't have EVERYTHING!). How does, to you, these Debussy Etudes compare to the great Walter Gieseking who was so well noted for his impressionistic music?
Gieseking is (was) outstanding, IMHO, in Debussy: He set the standard. However, I find myself returning to Bavouzet more often because he had more than a 70 years of performance history to study since Gieseking's remarkable set was issued originally, and I find that modern sound brings out deeper insights into Bavouzet's more subtle interpretation. Of course, I strongly recommend that you listen online before you buy, but the CDs I have are full of great playing with subtle colorations abounding. HIGHLY RECOMMEDED, these are definitely five star recordings! 8)