Trifonov at Carnegie Hall

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Belle

Trifonov at Carnegie Hall

Post by Belle » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:07 am

I'm watching this recital through MediciTV recorded 9 February. Beethoven Sonata E Flat Major (#18) and Schumann Bunte Blätter, Op. 99. Was anyone from here at that recital? I find it increasingly uncomfortable watching Trifonov's facial contortions and hunching over the keyboard. In this recital his tie is hanging between his legs right down below the piano stool. At times Trifonov invokes Wes Craven characters when he distorts his face, widens his eyes and writhes about.

I really like his Scherzo from Beethoven #18. The audience doesn't seem to know the work and clapped after the first movement. The Triff ignored them and pressed on. That's the tempo I like for the Scherzo. What a wonderful piano sonata with its completely contrasting movement. I'm listening to the Scherzo as I write this. Much preferable to hear Trifonov than watch!! He has obviously not taken Babayan's injunction about not staring at the keyboard!!

The Menuet from this Sonata; what can one say? But surprisingly heavy-handed under Trifonov's fingers.

Rach3

Re: Trifonov at Carnegie Hall

Post by Rach3 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:58 am

I saw/heard as well. The Beethoven Sonata is one of my fav of his sonatas, thought Trifonov did ok.I think the audience thought the first mov. of the Sonata was the end of the preceding Andante as replayed the 2 pieces without interruption. And this a Carnegie audience ? "Bunte Blatter " not a work I connect with. Thought he pulled together well the Prokofieff Sonata. Agree , his platform manner detracts from his playing.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:24 am

I believe the recital is still available VOD free of charge at the Medici TV website.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:04 pm

I recall reading where pianist Alfred Brendel saw some footage of him and noticed how his facial features contorted during playing. I understand he put a stop to it and was more aware of it than ever and wanted to discontinue. Of course now, he is retired. Lang Lang does the same thing and it is very distracting. I suppose artists have to show their emotion somehow, but other pianists do not resort to this kind of thing.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Belle

Post by Belle » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:22 pm

I remember watching a fairly recent masterclass with Andras Schiff (on U-Tube) and he reprimanded the musician for moving about on the chair and making facial gestures. He made a big deal of it, to the embarrassment of the musician!!

This is rather disturbing, I have to say: Prokofiev #8. Not to mention the rather feathery and indistinct contrasting quieter passages:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0NXZiZmo9Q

Compare with this excellent keyboard control:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NncHj0BKCps

And:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3vug9x

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:58 pm

Daniil Trifonov’s Cleveland teacher in a very Romantic Mozart K.595 ; liked it, but wish the pianist’s second entrance theme in the slow mov. was played “ straight “ :

Debussy : Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune
Mozart : Concerto pour piano No. 27 en si bémol majeur, K. 595
Ravel : Le Tombeau de Couperin
Mozart : Symphonie No. 35 en ré majeur, K. 385 ('Haffner')
Sergei Babayan, piano - Orchestre symphonique de la NDR - Andre Manze

Enregistré le 04/02/2018 à Hambourg

https://www.rtbf.be/auvio/detail_concer ... id=2467248