Peyton M. Hibbitt, founder Tri-Cities Opera dies

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Peyton M. Hibbitt, founder Tri-Cities Opera dies

Post by Lance » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:00 am

It was with a sad heart mid-morning on March 1st, 2019 that I learned of the passing of Peyton M. Hibbitt, 93, who co-founded Tri-Cities Opera in Binghamton, New York in 1949 with Carmen S. Savoca (also deceased). As the orchestra's conductor, I have known him since I was seven years old. My mother was a soprano with them and my father played the trumpet in the orchestra. It was Mr. Hibbitt who introduced me to broiled swordfish with drawn butter when I was about 8 years old. It is the only fish that I have loved since tasting it so long ago! I received a telephone call from his cleaning lady who wondered if I would like to say a few words to him as she held the phone to his ear. I did, but she told me wouldn't be talking (no energy to do so); I heard his very labored breathing and asked her if the end was really near? Apparently after that phone call, he died within minutes. It was attending so many operatic performances by Tri-Cities Opera over many years that I grew to love opera.

Just felt like I needed to impart my thoughts about someone who did so much for the world of opera in the Binghamton, New York area. They produced a good number of international opera singers.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Re: Peyton M. Hibbitt, founder Tri-Cities Opera dies

Post by maestrob » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:03 pm

Very sad, Lance! I share your grief, as my Maestro (La Selva) passed away just last year. Our mentors are leaving us, so now it's up to us to carry the torch forward.

Our deepest condolences.