A special Egon Petri (pianist) CD

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

A special Egon Petri (pianist) CD

Post by Lance » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:21 am

Pristine Audio has produced a number of superbly accomplished reissues of music by a huge number of the finest-known performing artists. One I recently acquired features the pianist Egon Petri, who always astonished me with his art. Pristine 076 brings together an all-Brahms disc featuring:

[1] Violin Sonata No. 3 in D Minor, Op. 108 w/Joseph Szigeti, violin (from British Columbia, recorded in 1937
[2] Viola Sonata No. 1 in F Minor, Op. 120 w/Samuel Lifschey, viola (from American Columbia, recorded in 1941
[3] Rhapsodies, op. 79, 1/2*
[4] Intermezzi, Op. 117, Nos. 1, 2, 3*
[5] Ballades, Op. 10, Nos. 1 (Edward), and 2*

* Taken from a rare Allegro-Royale LP issued in 1955. As a bonus, one can download Ballades 3 and 4 from the Op. 10 group inasmuch as they would not fit on this 76:59 minute CD.

This issue is important because Appian (APR) of England did not include them in their marvelously remastered CDs.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Re: A special Egon Petri (pianist) CD

Post by maestrob » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:27 am

That looks interesting, Lance. Petri was a student of Busoni's, wasn't he? Are those Brahms pieces included in the set pictured below:

John F

Post by John F » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:52 am

It would have been better if Pristine Audio had included the whole Allegro Brahms LP on the CD in place of one or both of the 78rpm transfers. There are other Petri Allegros, one of Liszt and one of Beethoven's sonatas 30 and 31, that are worthy of reissue too.
John Francis

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:14 am

I would like to see all the Allegro LPs on CD. But in 1955, I'm sure the vinyl was full of cracks and pops, and probably those recordings are very rare now as well.
John F wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:52 am
It would have been better if Pristine Audio had included the whole Allegro Brahms LP on the CD in place of one or both of the 78rpm transfers. There are other Petri Allegros, one of Liszt and one of Beethoven's sonatas 30 and 31, that are worthy of reissue too.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

John F

Post by John F » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:57 pm

The Allegro records always were rare, but I have them, and I could be persuaded... :)
John Francis