Pianist Mariam Batsashvili live March 4,2019

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Pianist Mariam Batsashvili live March 4,2019

Post by Rach3 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:31 pm

Live from Wigmore Hall, Monday, March 4,2019,the first woman to win the Franz Liszt Piano Competition ( the one which started in 1986 ). From BBC R3 :

“ From Wigmore Hall, London. Radio 3 New Generation Artist Mariam Batsashvili gained international recognition at the Franz Liszt Piano Competition in Utrecht in 2014, where she was awarded First Prize, as well as the Junior Jury Award and the Press Prize.”

Bach: Chromatic Fantasy and Fugue in D minor BWV903
Haydn: Piano Sonata in D HXVI:37
Liszt: Hungarian Rhapsody No. 12
Liszt: Fantasy on themes from Mozart's 'Le nozze di Figaro' and 'Don Giovanni' S. 697 (Howard version)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0002zhz

I don’t connect much with Haydn usually , but the sonata played here was delightful, very interesting slow mov. I believe my first hearing of the Liszt Fantasy, a work unfinished at his death which British pianist Leslie Howard “ completed “ in the 1990’s. Busoni apparently did an earlier “ completion” which for some reason not explained here used themes from only one of the operas ,Howard’s using both as did the original incomplete. An epic tour de force ! Live here ??!! Holy cow.

maestrob

Re: Pianist Mariam Batsashvili live March 4,2019

Post by maestrob » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:52 pm

What I heard was enjoyable enough, and she has technique to burn as well as a good sense of tempo. For some reason, though, I felt that Batsashvili lacked depth, so I was not encouraged enough to buy her CD. A worthy contender, she needs maturing. MHO, naturally.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:05 pm

maestrob wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:52 pm
For some reason, though, I felt that Batsashvili lacked depth, so I

Her Haydn was very good,I thought. As to the rest, I tend to agree with you.

Belle

Post by Belle » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:28 pm

I'm listening to her performance right now as I do my early morning reading on the internet. The Liszt is very good; it has a lightness and lyricism where required and not flashy and showy for its own sake. The rest was enjoyable too. Lucky London for having those kinds of 'lunchtime' concerts.

It's a keyboard day today; my presentation on the Beethoven Middle Period piano sonatas is in 4 hours' time. Have been listening all week intensely to these magnificent works and looking forward to terrifying some of the oldies there with the final movement of the "Appassionata"!!!!