Pianist Boris Giltburg, live video 2018

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Pianist Boris Giltburg, live video 2018

Post by Rach3 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:01 am

March 10 , 2018 , in Paris, Auditorium de la Maison de la Radio France,Boris Giltburg live video. Rachmaninoff “ Corelli “ , Giltburg's own transcription of Shostakovich’s 8th String Quartet , Medtner’s “Reminiscenza” Sonata, Scriabin’s 5th Sonata, Starvinsky’s “Petrushka” Suite , encores Rachmaninoff/Kreisler “ Liebeslied “ , Prokofieff “ Suggestion Diabolique “, Scriabin Etude Op.2,# 1. I listened only to the “Corelli”, Shostakovich transcription,and Prokofieff ( an encore that seems to have fallen out of favor ? ).

https://www.francemusique.fr/concert/pa ... y-giltburg

You need to select each video separately.

maestrob

Re: Pianist Boris Giltburg, live video 2018

Post by maestrob » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:03 am

Rach3 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:01 am
March 10 , 2018 , in Paris, Auditorium de la Maison de la Radio France,Boris Giltburg live video. Rachmaninoff “ Corelli “ , Giltburg's own transcription of Shostakovich’s 8th String Quartet , Medtner’s “Reminiscenza” Sonata, Scriabin’s 5th Sonata, Starvinsky’s “Petrushka” Suite , encores Rachmaninoff/Kreisler “ Liebeslied “ , Prokofieff “ Suggestion Diabolique “, Scriabin Etude Op.2,# 1. I listened only to the “Corelli”, Shostakovich transcription,and Prokofieff ( an encore that seems to have fallen out of favor ? ).

https://www.francemusique.fr/concert/pa ... y-giltburg

You need to select each video separately.
Giltburg is a pianist I follow closely. His solo recordings have never once disappointed me, and I look forward to watching this. Thanks for posting!

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:14 pm

Have now heard this concert, and Giltburg did not disappoint. How he managed those superhuman passages in the Scriabin sonata is just astounding. Giltburg is a great artist, and luckily for discophiles now has a recorded repertoire ranging from Beethoven and Schumann to Medtner and Shostakovich, all outstanding interpretations. He's just released a disc of Liszt's Transcendental Etudes, which is on my want list for next month. Thanks again for finding and posting this concert. 8)

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:30 pm

maestrob wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:14 pm
Thanks again for finding and posting this concert.
You're quite welcome.I have been following him several years. He has grown as an artist ,especially since he was able to leave the competition circuits.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:12 am

So far, I have very little of Boris Giltburg on discs, but his discography (heavy from Naxos) looks most interesting. Geez, another pianist to collect? Not sure - yet.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:11 am

A place to start with a cd of this pianist may be his 2012 cd of Prokofieff's "War Sonatas ", high reviews at Amazon-US. I have not heard the cd. I have heard his Rachmaninoff Etudes, very good.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:51 am

Rach3 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:11 am
A place to start with a cd of this pianist may be his 2012 cd of Prokofieff's "War Sonatas ", high reviews at Amazon-US. I have not heard the cd. I have heard his Rachmaninoff Etudes, very good.
Right on. Giltburg recorded the Prokofiev War Sonatas for EMI, but it's out of print, so he redid them for his current label, Naxos. Both discs are excellent. I have yet to be disappointed by any of his solo work, but he chose the wrong conductor for his Rachmaninoff Concerti. My advice is to avoid those. What makes him an international artist is his understanding of German music, notably Beethoven, Liszt and Schumann.

There is also an astonishingly mature recital on DVD, recorded in his early twenties in Florida.