Jacques Loussier R.I.P.

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Allen

Jacques Loussier R.I.P.

Post by Allen » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:38 pm

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Jacques Loussier R.I.P.

Post by Lance » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:10 am

I have a number of his CDs mostly on the Teldec/Erato and Telarc labels. I've enjoyed his music-making.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

John F

Post by John F » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:22 am

Back in the '60s there was a lot of jazzing up Bach: Loussier, the Swingle Singers (remember them?), and Walter/Wendy Carlos's "Switched-on Bach." That vogue gave way to the current HIP dogma which objects to Bach being played straight but on the "wrong" instrument. Sic transit.
John Francis

Belle

Post by Belle » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:54 am

John F wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:22 am
Back in the '60s there was a lot of jazzing up Bach: Loussier, the Swingle Singers (remember them?), and Walter/Wendy Carlos's "Switched-on Bach." That vogue gave way to the current HIP dogma which objects to Bach being played straight but on the "wrong" instrument. Sic transit.
Since you wrote this in the discussion about Andre Previn and "Porgy and Bess", it's not unreasonable to apply the same logic to the playing of Bach by HIP methods/instruments: ergo, it's not 'dogma' to apply these principles! 8)

"....I argue for performing a masterpiece as the composer wrote it".

John F

Post by John F » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:23 am

Belle wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:54 am
Since you wrote this in the discussion about Andre Previn and "Porgy and Bess", it's not unreasonable to apply the same logic to the playing of Bach by HIP methods/instruments: ergo, it's not 'dogma' to apply these principles! 8)

I was referring to the text of the work, the notes and words on the page, which in the "Porgy and Bess" movie were rewritten, not to the style of performance or the instruments used in it. Clear?
John Francis

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:35 pm

Lance wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:10 am
I have a number of his CDs mostly on the Teldec/Erato and Telarc labels. I've enjoyed his music-making.
Very sad news. I've admired his music-making for decades. Thanks, Allen, for letting us know. There is a 3-disc set of Bach available on amazon for $7 right now.

Belle

Post by Belle » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:19 pm

John F wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:23 am
Belle wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:54 am

I was referring to the text of the work, the notes and words on the page, which in the "Porgy and Bess" movie were rewritten, not to the style of performance or the instruments used in it. Clear?
Same principle, exactly, for Bach et al.

arepo

Post by arepo » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:18 am

I am deeply saddened to learn about the passing of this remarkable musician.

He and some of the greatest and most skilled bassists and drummers who were part of his group gave me years of musical joy.
I have all of his recordings and listen frequently to them because they are truly creative and brilliant. He can be heard on many youtube tracks and for those who don't know this artist's work, please check him out.

He will be very much missed.

R.I.P.

cliftwood