Opera Philadelphia Next Season

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Opera Philadelphia Next Season

Post by lennygoran » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:42 am

The booklet from Opera Philadelphia for next season arrived yesterday-I see some possibilities for us! Regards, Len

1. Academy of Music | Company Premiere
The Love for Three Oranges

Opulent stage design, a kingdom of colorful characters, and some of Prokofiev's most energetic, accessible music combine for a seriously funny opera about a melancholic prince and his cursed quest for love.

2. Perelman Theater | Company Premiere
Semele

Featuring Handel's most glorious orchestral and virtuosic vocal writing, Semele transports audiences to the world of Greek and Roman mythology and its larger-than-life personas: from lustful gods and vengeful goddesses to fallible mortals.

3. The Suzanne Roberts Theatre | World Premiere
Denis & Katya

Two 15-year-old runaways became the Romeo and Juliet of internet clickbait when they broadcast themselves live on social media during a standoff with Russian Special Forces. This multimedia production uses verbatim text to examine the vast public response to these events, what that reveals about our society, and what it means to make an opera out of it.

4. FringeArts | World Premiere
Let Me Die

Joseph Keckler brings his sharp wit and rich, versatile voice to this world premiere "aria-logue" interweaving snippets of famous death scenes from dozens of canonic operas with his own music and signature comedic storytelling.

https://www.operaphila.org/festival/performances/

John F

Re: Opera Philadelphia Next Season

Post by John F » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:28 am

Denis & Katya - music by Philip Venables

It's not clear that Joseph Keckler is the composer of "Let Me Die," but I guess he is.
John Francis

lennygoran

Re: Opera Philadelphia Next Season

Post by lennygoran » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:49 am

John F wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:28 am

It's not clear that Joseph Keckler is the composer of "Let Me Die," but I guess he is.
Joseph Keckler brings opera to life with 'Let Me Die' at the Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit

https://knightfoundation.org/articles/j ... -die-mocad