A Surprise Samson: The Week in Classical Music

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:01 am

In an article the NYTimes does every week on classical music this part caught my eye. This new Met production was a winner for us--we saw it with Alagna and Garanca in Oct. Regards, Len

March 15, 2019

On Wednesday, I was at the Metropolitan Opera for the return of “Samson et Dalila” with a fresh cast — notably the galvanizing mezzo-soprano Anita Rachvelishvili.

It was clear from the start that the Samson, Aleksandrs Antonenko, was struggling; after intermission, the Met announced that he was ill with a cold, and would be replaced by Gregory Kunde.

It’s not easy to jump into the middle of a performance, but Mr. Kunde did it with stylish ease. Now 65(!), he’s moved on from specializing in bel canto earlier in his career to the heroic roles of Verdi and Puccini. But he’s hardly ever sung at the Met. Hopefully that changes now.

His success brought me back to an already classic recording of Rossini’s “Armida” made from 1993 performances in Italy. Here’s Mr. Kunde combining memorably with Renée Fleming:

Enjoy the weekend! ZACHARY WOOLFE

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/15/arts ... utube.html