Summer meet-up

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

maestrob

Summer meet-up

Post by maestrob » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:36 am

Hello, everyone!

It's time to start thinking about when and where to plan our annual meet-up! Since the sad passing of JohnB, I thought I might take it upon myself to bring up the topic this year. I hope I'm not being too presumptuous, but there it is. I've been in touch with Lance, and he advises me that so far, Fridays and Saturdays in June work for our fearless leader, and since he missed last year's celebration, let's include him this year if at all possible.

Len, would you be kind enough to make the reservation at that lovely restaurant once we settle on a date? Or, does anyone else have a suggested spot for a 2PM luncheon?

How many of us would be available in June, and would a Friday or Saturday work better for you?

Really look forward to seeing you all again! :D

lennygoran

Re: Summer meet-up

Post by lennygoran » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:36 pm

maestrob wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:36 am
I've been in touch with Lance, and he advises me that so far, Fridays and Saturdays in June work for our fearless leader, and since he missed last year's celebration, let's include him this year if at all possible.Len, would you be kind enough to make the reservation at that lovely restaurant once we settle on a date? Or, does anyone else have a suggested spot for a 2PM luncheon?

Brian looking at my calendar June 7th or 8th, June 21 or 22 and June 28or 29th work for me.

The weekend of June 15 and 16th is no good.

I'd be glad to try to make that reservation for 2PM and am also open to any other suggestions. Regards, Len

John F

Post by John F » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:58 pm

Great! Thanks for starting the ball rolling.

Fridays aren't so good for me, as my shift at the library is on Fridays from 3:30 to 6pm, so I'd prefer a Saturday. As of now they're all available.

Pomodoro Rosso is OK, but if it's Italian we want, the Cafe Fiorello opposite Lincoln Center is good, and it makes Fridays possible for me - just a short walk to the library. Their a la carte prices for lunch are about the same as at Pomodoro Rosso or a dollar more, but Fiorello also has prix fixe lunches: a starter and main course for $23 (pasta) or $28 (fish).

https://www.cafefiorello.com/menu/

I've eaten there several times and the food is very good. So unless anyone has an objection, can we go to Cafe Fiorello this time?
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:42 pm

John F wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:58 pm
https://www.cafefiorello.com/menu/

I've eaten there several times and the food is very good. So unless anyone has an objection, can we go to Cafe Fiorello this time?
For us no problem with Cafe Fiorello-we pass it all the time. Wonder if they would allow for separate checks? Regards, Len

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:48 pm

I cannot join, but would recommend the Valpolicella , chilled well before opened, and then opened about 90 minutes in advance.

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:14 am

So far, the only day that's not good is Friday, June 21. I'd also prefer to stay away from Saturday, June 8, as I have to get back in time for a Philadelphia Orchestra concert that evening.

Donald Isler

Post by Donald Isler » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:02 am

I will be at a high school reunion in NY on Saturday, the 8th, so am not available then. Otherwise, I may be available and interested.
Donald Isler

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:06 am

OK, so it looks like we're down to two Saturdays, either the 22nd or the 29th, so let's say we'll go for the 22nd and celebrate the beginning of summer! JohnF, I'm open to your idea of Cafe Fiorello as someplace new to try, but only if they'll take individual checks, as Len suggested. Len, would you be kind and give them a call?

So far we have the following guests:

Len & Sue
Don Isler
JohnF
Ricordanza
Lance & Steve
Brian & Teresa
Ed & Pat (newcomers and friends of mine)

Anyone else????

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:28 am

Rach3 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:48 pm
I cannot join, but would recommend the Valpolicella , chilled well before opened, and then opened about 90 minutes in advance.
You'll be missed! :D

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:12 pm

maestrob wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:06 am
I'm open to your idea of Cafe Fiorello as someplace new to try, but only if they'll take individual checks, as Len suggested. Len, would you be kind and give them a call?
Brian we're gonna be at the Met tomorrow for a Don G and Sue and I plan on going in to talk to people at Cafe Fiorello. Regards, Len

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:39 am

lennygoran wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:12 pm
maestrob wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:06 am
I'm open to your idea of Cafe Fiorello as someplace new to try, but only if they'll take individual checks, as Len suggested. Len, would you be kind and give them a call?
Brian we're gonna be at the Met tomorrow for a Don G and Sue and I plan on going in to talk to people at Cafe Fiorello. Regards, Len
Perfect! I'm hoping that they'll have a table to accommodate all of us comfortably. Thanks!

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:37 am

Brian Sue and I went into fiorellos and our talk with the greeter was discouraging-he said that he couldn't guarantee a quiet spot for a group of 10 people-in fact he might have to separate the group into tables of 5. He also said they didn't like to offer split checks but might try to work with us-no guarantees though. I asked him if he thought that on a Sat at 3 if we would find it very busy and he said it was hard to know but that many times it is busy on a Sat-the earlier brunch crowd might still be taking up tables. Regards, Len

John F

Post by John F » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:46 am

The last time I ate at Fiorello's it was with a family group of 10 or more, at a normal meal time, and we were seated at one table. What their "greeter" told you can't be the restaurant's policy. But if they don't want our business, forget about it.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:38 am

John F wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:46 am
The last time I ate at Fiorello's it was with a family group of 10 or more, at a normal meal time, and we were seated at one table. What their "greeter" told you can't be the restaurant's policy. But if they don't want our business, forget about it.
John I'm curious now-was your dinner on a Saturday-the greeter said it could be very crowded then but sometimes it might not be. Also I was disappointed that he was reluctant to allow us to get separate checks-I tried to explain that some people like Sue and I like a nice bottle of wine eith diiner while other people want just a small slalad and a coke-he actually said the restaurant tries to discourage this kind of thing-maybe he was misrepresenting the management? Sue was also wondering how a place likePasha could handle the group-that's for those who don't know a Turkish restaurant. Regards, Len

John F

Post by John F » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:27 am

I don't remember the day but it was dinner at a normal time, 6 or 7 pm. There's no reason why a restaurant at Lincoln Center or elsewhere should be crowded at 3pm on a June Saturday. By then the matinee performances at Lincoln Center have long since started. As for brunch, according to the Fiorello web site their brunch time is 9am to 3pm, so if there's a brunch crowd most of it should be gone by 3pm. The "greeter" just doesn't want our business.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:50 am

Thanks, any suggestions from anyone would be appreciated-wish I lived closer to nyc sometimes so I could be of more assistance meeting with restaurant managers face to face. Regards, Len

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:02 am

Well, the actual time of the luncheon is 2PM, but that still shouldn't present a problem, since Matinee performances at Lincoln Center start at 2PM, so the restaurant should be relatively empty, methinks.

Besides, we've been treated quite well at Pomodoro Rosso, so why don't we just make arrangements there for the 22nd?

I suspect that since you got the time wrong, Len, that may have influenced the attitude of the "greeter." Since they end their brunch service at 3PM, he/she may have been reluctant to accommodate us, if you see what I mean.

It really doesn't matter to me which place we go to. The whole point is for us to rub shoulders, no? :D

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:01 am

Brian they don't start serving lunch until 3PM on Sat-that's why I had to ask about it for 3 rather than 2. IOW lunch starts at 3PM. Len [heading out for hudson yards and the brooklyn seder. ] Len

John F

Post by John F » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:59 am

From the Cafe Fiorello web site:

BREAKFAST
Monday – Friday: 8:00am – 11:30AM

LUNCH
Monday – Friday: 11:30am – 4:00PM

DINNER
Monday – Thursday: 4:00PM – 12:00AM
Friday: 4:00pm – 12:30am
Saturday: 3:00pm – 12:30am
Sunday: 3:00pm – 11:00pm

BRUNCH
Saturday – Sunday: 9:00am – 3:00PM

https://www.cafefiorello.com/location/

On Saturdays they serve continually from 9am to 11pm or later. If you order before 3pm it's from the brunch menu, if after 3pm it's from the dinner menu; their lunch menu isn't available on Saturdays. That's what the web site seems to say, anyway.

I'm sure at least some of us (me) would prefer their lunch menu, which offers more substantial choices than brunch and lower prices than dinner, but for that we'd have to go on Friday. According to the web site. Friday would be OK with me, though I'd have to leave at 3:15 to go to work at the library.
John Francis

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:23 pm

Well, John, since the date has already been announced as Saturday, June 22, I think we should stick to that, as people are already making plans. Besides, we would miss you if you would have to rush off at 3:15 to go to work at the library.....wouldn't you be more comfortable on Saturday? Seems a shame to be in such a hurry to leave! :wink:

Also, for those coming from out of town, isn't traffic easier on Saturday afternoon than on a workday? Just thinking out loud......

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:54 pm

lennygoran wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:01 am
Brian they don't start serving lunch until 3PM on Sat-that's why I had to ask about it for 3 rather than 2. IOW lunch starts at 3PM. Len [heading out for hudson yards and the brooklyn seder. ] Len
OK Len, no problem. A little mix-up occasionally is good for the soul. :)

JohnF clarified the situation in another post, so things will straighten out eventually. I just wish they had been nicer and more accommodating. :roll:

John F

Post by John F » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:34 pm

Either Friday or Saturday is OK. I wasn't aware that a date had been set, but June 22 is fine if that's to be it.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:45 pm

Okay I'll go for pomodoro for sat june 22 at 2PM and be back with developments as I get more info. Today the rain held off and Hudson Yards looked very impressive to us-what a project! Regards, Len

Donald Isler

Post by Donald Isler » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:53 am

Pomodoro Rosso, where we met last time, was very pleasant and accommodating, plus we had our own room, and the food was good. I'd be happy to go back there.
Donald Isler

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:05 pm

John F wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:34 pm
Either Friday or Saturday is OK. I wasn't aware that a date had been set, but June 22 is fine if that's to be it.
Thanks, John! I've already invited two friends who will be coming, classical music lovers like us, Ed & Pat. Lovely people!

Looking forward to seeing everyone at Pomodoro Rosso on June 22, Saturday @ 2PM!

Len, you'll let us know when you've confirmed the reservation! Thanks for doing that.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:52 pm

maestrob wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:05 pm

Len, you'll let us know when you've confirmed the reservation! Thanks for doing that.
Brian Sue and I had a chance to get over there today around 2 and the upstairs was dark and empty-there were some tables occupied in the other levels-the owner who I've worked with before was there-we're set up for Sat june 22 2PM-he remembered our group and said the separate checks were fine with him! Regards, Len

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:04 am

lennygoran wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:52 pm
maestrob wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:05 pm

Brian Sue and I had a chance to get over there today around 2 and the upstairs was dark and empty-there were some tables occupied in the other levels-the owner who I've worked with before was there-we're set up for Sat june 22 2PM-he remembered our group and said the separate checks were fine with him! Regards, Len
Wonderful! So we're confirmed. Thanks, Len, for being so prompt! Can't wait to see everyone! 8) :D

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:49 pm

Brian we too look forward to it-you can accomplish alot when you live in or close to NYC! Len

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed May 15, 2019 11:06 am

Well, unfortunately, due to concert conflicts and the need for me to be present here, I will NOT be able to make this meet-up. I will also be gone most of July (which I probably should not do), but one does have to take a break and recharge the batteries. I hope you will not be disappointed. We will simply have to try again at some point. My sincere apologies.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed May 15, 2019 11:19 am

Lance wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:06 am
Well, unfortunately, due to concert conflicts and the need for me to be present here, I will NOT be able to make this meet-up. I will also be gone most of July (which I probably should not do), but one does have to take a break and recharge the batteries. I hope you will not be disappointed. We will simply have to try again at some point. My sincere apologies.
So VERY sorry to hear this, Lance! I was hoping to introduce you to a fine friend of mine who loves music as we all do and who wants to join our group online. You will be missed, in spades!

Thanks again for all you do to keep us going!

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Mon May 20, 2019 6:02 am

Lance wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:06 am
Well, unfortunately, due to concert conflicts and the need for me to be present here, I will NOT be able to make this meet-up.
Okay so we have 9 so far for Pomodoro Sat June 22, 2019 at 2PM. Please let me know if there are any changes. Looking forward to it. Regards, Len

Len & Sue
Don Isler
JohnF
Ricordanza
Brian & Teresa
Ed & Pat (newcomers and friends of Brian)

John F

Post by John F » Mon May 20, 2019 7:28 am

Yes, it's still on my calendar. Looking forward to seeing everybody - well, maybe not everybody, sorry you won't be with us Lance, but a good turnout.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Mon May 27, 2019 5:14 am

Was just wondering-are any of the participants going to a musical event after the restaurant-Sue and I may try to make a NYC weekend out of it-any recommendations. Regards, Len

John F

Post by John F » Mon May 27, 2019 5:52 am

Not I. There isn't much going on in New York in late June unless you want to see "My Fair Lady" (tickets from $87).
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Mon May 27, 2019 6:07 am

John F wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 5:52 am
Not I. There isn't much going on in New York in late June unless you want to see "My Fair Lady" (tickets from $87).
Thanks-we saw this a while back-it was great! Also that theater has telecoil which connects in a wifi sort of way right to my hearing aids-it's a pleasure! I noticed this play over there at the Claire Tow Theater:

LCT3 to Premiere Grace McLean's IN THE GREEN This Summer
by BWW News Desk Mar. 14, 2019

This summer, Lincoln Center Theater/LCT3 will produce the world premiere of IN THE GREEN, a new musical by Grace McLean, directed by Lee Sunday Evans. McLean will also be featured in the production which will begin performances Saturday, June 8 and run for eight weeks only through Sunday, August 4 at the Claire Tow Theater (150 West 65 Street). Opening night is Thursday, June 27. IN THE GREEN's cast of five will also feature Rachael Duddy, Ashley Pérez Flanagan, and Hannah Whitney. Additional casting will be announced at a later date.

Commissioned by LCT3, IN THE GREEN tells the origin story of one of Medieval history's most powerful and creative women: Hildegard von Bingen (to be played by Rachael Duddy, Ashley Pérez Flanagan, and Hannah Whitney). Before she became a healer, a composer, an exorcist, and finally a saint, she was a little girl locked in a cell with her mentor, Jutta (to be played by Grace McLean). IN THE GREEN is the tale of two women and the journey that leads one to embrace death, and the other to celebrate the beauty and blemishes of a fully lived life.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Mon May 27, 2019 7:23 am

I see there's also this for one of the evenings:

Kenneth MacMillan had been thinking about choreographing a ballet about the story of Manon Lescaut for some time. Three years into his artistic directorship of The Royal Ballet, he wanted to create a large-scale operatic ballet that would provide exciting roles both for the company's principal dancers and the corps de ballet.[1]

On the last night of the company's summer season in 1973, MacMillan left a copy of Prévost's novel in Antoinette Sibley's dressing room, with a note informing her that it would "come in handy for March 7, '74". As the copy of Manon Lescaut was in a double volume with the novella Carmen by Prosper Mérimée, Sibley asked Anthony Dowell to find out which story was to be turned into a ballet, while she performed onstage in The Sleeping Beauty.[2]

MacMillan began choreographing Manon during the 1973–74 season. He left the title character open to differing dancer interpretations, but was himself sympathetic to her poverty, believing that it was her desire to escape this that underpinned her decisions.[1]

MacMillan used the designs of Nicholas Georgiadis, which reflected the "precarious division between opulence and degradation" with "the stench of poverty ever-present".[3] The ballet's narrative structure is based on that of MacMillan's earlier Romeo and Juliet, with hero and heroine meeting each other as young innocents and their love being revealed through a series of pas de deux.[4]

Critical responses to the opening night performance were mixed. The Guardian newspaper stated, "Basically, Manon is a slut and Des Grieux is a fool and they move in the most unsavoury company", while the Morning Star described the ballet as "an appalling waste of the lovely Antoinette Sibley, who is reduced to a nasty little diamond digger". The opening night audience gave the ballet a standing ovation.[5]

John F

Post by John F » Mon May 27, 2019 8:58 am

I've seen it with the Royal Ballet. The story is essentially the same as in Massenet's opera but the music is taken from dozens of other pieces by him; I didn't think it added up to much, but that was long ago. Macmillan's story ballets are always dramatically effective, but all I remember of the choreography is a very erotic pas de deux that leaves little to the imagination.
John Francis

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:42 am

Just reviving this thread to confirm our Summer of 2019 CMG meet-up will be happening a week from today, Saturday June 22, starting at 2:00PM at the Pomodoro Rosso restaurant, favorite of Seinfeld fans!

Looking forward to seeing everyone there! :D

John F

Post by John F » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:05 pm

See you soon!
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:59 pm

maestrob wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:42 am
Just reviving this thread to confirm our Summer of 2019 CMG meet-up will be happening a week from today, Saturday June 22, starting at 2:00PM at the Pomodoro Rosso restaurant, favorite of Seinfeld fans!

Looking forward to seeing everyone there! :D
Brian we're looking forward to it-we're in Boston right now-tomorrow we see Steffani's Orlando-BEMF majoropera event of the year. Len

Donald Isler

Post by Donald Isler » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:53 am

Looking forward!
Donald Isler

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:02 pm

Donald Isler wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:53 am
Looking forward!
Don, great-so are we. Right now this seems to be where we stand on who's coming-7 in all:

Len & Sue
Don Isler
JohnF
Ricordanza
Brian & Teresa

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:24 am

I'm sorry to do this at the last minute, but I will not be able to attend tomorrow's "meet-up." My wife was just discharged from the hospital after a nine-day stay for a lung infection, and I need the time to care for her and the house, etc.

Hope to get together with everyone in the future.

Hank M (Ricordanza)

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:32 am

Ricordanza wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:24 am
I'm sorry to do this at the last minute, but I will not be able to attend tomorrow's "meet-up." My wife was just discharged from the hospital after a nine-day stay for a lung infection, and I need the time to care for her and the house, etc.

Hank M (Ricordanza)
Hank thanks for alerting me to this-I'll contact the restaurant-they'll be 6 of us then. Hope your wife gets better quickly. Regards, Len

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:42 am

Hank,

Sorry to hear about your wife! Please take good care of her, and we'll look forward to seeing you next year.

Donald Isler

Post by Donald Isler » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:07 am

Very sorry we will not see you tomorrow, Hank. Hope your wife will make a quick recovery!
Donald Isler

John F

Post by John F » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:55 am

Ricordanza wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:24 am
My wife was just discharged from the hospital after a nine-day stay for a lung infection, and I need the time to care for her and the house, etc.
So sorry to miss you. Hope your wife is well or at least getting well; my best to her.
John Francis

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:24 am

Thanks for all the good wishes.

H