Starting times for concerts

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Ricordanza

Starting times for concerts

Post by Ricordanza » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:52 am

I was looking at Rach 3's videos of Pietro Scarpini's performances when I noticed something interesting. The program for the Prokofiev PC 2 indicates that the Thursday evening concert began at 8:45 pm. By contrast, most concerts today begin, at the latest, at 8 pm. In fact, Philadelphia Orchestra evening concerts used to start at 8 pm but, beginning with the 2017-2018 season, weekday evening concerts start at 7:30 pm (including tonight's concert which I am attending). The Philadelphia Chamber Music Society moved all of their evening concerts from 8:00 pm to 7:30 pm, beginning with this season. These changes were made based on audience feedback.

Any thoughts on the reasons for this shift?

lennygoran

Re: Starting times for concerts

Post by lennygoran » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:39 am

Ricordanza wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:52 am

Any thoughts on the reasons for this shift?
Hank maybe it has something to do with catching trains back to suburban areas after the performances? Regards, Len

Donald Isler

Post by Donald Isler » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:46 am

I remember that when I was growing up the starting time for concerts in New York was often 8:30 PM.
Donald Isler

John F

Post by John F » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:50 am

The New York Philharmonic and the Metropolitan Opera both moved their usual starting times from 8pm to 7:30. The Met polled its customers; I've seen it suggested that many prefer the earlier time so they can catch their trains home.

The Philharmonic's starting time for evening concerts was 8:45 into the 1950s, as the program for the Scarpini/Mitropolous concert shows. In the '60s it became 8:30 except for Monday evenings at 7:30, and in the 1980s it was 8:00. A possible reason for starting later than 7:30 was so that the patrons would have time for dinner beforehand. That's why I voted against 7:30 when the Philharmonic was conducting its poll.
John Francis

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:51 am

John F wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:50 am
The New York Philharmonic and the Metropolitan Opera both moved their usual starting times from 8pm to 7:30. The Met polled its customers; I've seen it suggested that many prefer the earlier time so they can catch their trains home.

The Philharmonic's starting time for evening concerts was 8:45 into the 1950s, as the program for the Scarpini/Mitropolous concert shows. In the '60s it became 8:30 except for Monday evenings at 7:30, and in the 1980s it was 8:00. A possible reason for starting later than 7:30 was so that the patrons would have time for dinner beforehand. That's why I voted against 7:30 when the Philharmonic was conducting its poll.
Well, we agree on something else at last! I would have voted with you John, for the same reason. When I used to work, I would have to stay at the NYAC until 7PM, and would have a quick dinner and dash to Lincoln Center by cab (or walk over to Carnegie Hall). While I welcome the MET's coming Sunday Matinees in principal, a 7:30 start time on weekdays will surely increase the out-of-town audience at the expense of working Manhattanites, who are working later and later hours these days.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:43 pm

Starting time for Thursday nite concerts at Severance Hall is 7:30. There are no subway trains to catch — most concertgoers drive.

Might not the annuating circadian clocks of Boomers dictate their recent preference for earlier starting times on weekdays?

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:34 am

jserraglio wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:43 pm
Might not the annuating circadian clocks of Boomers dictate their recent preference for earlier starting times on weekdays?
That's my guess.

When I was surveyed, I voted to keep the starting time at 8 pm. I was working full-time when they did the survey, with a commute of up to one hour to get home. A 7:30 pm start time would be difficult under those circumstances. Now that my schedule is more flexible, I still would prefer the 8 pm start time, but evidently the majority of the audience members feel otherwise.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:45 pm

Some artists, such as Vladimir Horowitz, preferred to start his concerts at 4:00pm on Sundays as I recall. Most of the chamber concerts we hold around here start at 3:00pm on Sundays. I suppose much depends on how long you work and where you live that dictates the preferred starting times for concert-goers. Having been to NYC or Boston for many concerts over the years, NYC was the worst to try to get to concerts or the Met on time. it helped, of course, to stay in hotels as close to the concert venues as possible.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

John F

Post by John F » Wed May 01, 2019 3:29 am

Sunday performances are always matinees, I believe, never in the evening. I don't know why not, but that's how it seems.
John Francis

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed May 01, 2019 9:49 am

John F wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 3:29 am
Sunday performances are always matinees, I believe, never in the evening. I don't know why not, but that's how it seems.
Could it be that that's when PBS broadcasts Masterpiece Theatre? I'm just saying..... :wink: :mrgreen:

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed May 01, 2019 10:52 am

John F wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 3:29 am
Perhaps because most of audiences have to go to work Monday am ?

I recall a George Carlin joke:

“ Some people see what is and ask why ; some people dream of what might be and ask why not ; and some people have to go to work and don’t have time for all that.”

barney

Post by barney » Thu May 02, 2019 5:48 pm

In Melbourne, another factor is that the concert-going population is increasingly elderly. The Melbourne Symphony Orchestra, which usually does three concerts of each program has either Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights, or Friday and Saturday nights (8pm) and 6.30pm on Mondays. My subscription is "pick your own 10" and I have chosen many of the Monday night ones. The day suits me for various reasons, and 6.30 is convenient for me.
But it is more important for many of the very old subscribers, who come with courage and consistency on walking sticks and even frames. I hope to be one (old, not necessarily on sticks).
Am I not old already? In the eye of the beholder - a friend once told me that old is 15 years older than whatever you are now.