For fans of pianist Nikolai Lugansky

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

For fans of pianist Nikolai Lugansky

Post by Rach3 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:23 pm

For Lugansky fans ( I am usually one ):

With “ the other Franck Prelude & Fugue ”, delightful work.

Franck - Prélude, Fugue et Variation, op. 18, FWV 30 (arr. H. Bauer)
Debussy - des Images Livre II, L. 111 : Cloches à travers les feuilles, Et la lune descend sur le temple qui fut, Poissons d'or
Debussy - L'ile joyeuse, L. 106.
Scriabin - Sonate pour piano n° 3 en fa dièse mineur, op. 23.
Rachmaninov - des Préludes, op. 32 : 5, 6, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
Encores:
Medtner - Canzona Serenata (extraite des "Forgotten Melodies OP.38 no 6)
Rachmaninov - Prélude Op. 23 No 7

“Russianized “ Debussy, perhaps (?) , but wonderful playing throughout ( even if, and even for Lugansky, Op.32,# 13 a big challenge ).

Enregistré le 2 avril 2019 à Flagey

https://www.rtbf.be/auvio/detail_concer ... id=2490406

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: For fans of pianist Nikolai Lugansky

Post by Lance » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:35 pm

Indeed, another of my favs! Have around 30 or so of his CDs. Brilliant artist! Fabulous interpreter of Rachmaninoff's music, for one!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

barney

Post by barney » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:48 pm

My wife and I are about an hour back from a month in Europe, one of the great highlights of which was Lugansky doing Beethoven 4 with the Czech Philharmonic in Prague. Amazing!

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:39 pm

Wonderful! Hope you had a grand time. Lugansky and the Czech Philharmonic? What a great collaboration that must've been. Who conducted? And how are doing with the time change? Been to Prague and elsewhere in the Czech Republic. Quite a lovely country.
barney wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:48 pm
My wife and I are about an hour back from a month in Europe, one of the great highlights of which was Lugansky doing Beethoven 4 with the Czech Philharmonic in Prague. Amazing!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed May 01, 2019 10:26 am

barney wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:48 pm
Welcome back, Barney! You've been missed! Wondered what happened to you....

Do post some photos, if you can. 8)

barney

Post by barney » Thu May 02, 2019 5:42 pm

Thanks, you are too kind.
The Lugansky was a real highlight - superb performance by all forces and the hall, the Rudolphinum, is remarkable too. The conductor was Tomas Netopil, a new name to me, but very fine on the podium. Energetic but also sensitive and delicate as required. The wonderful opening of the second movement was perfect - a balance of sonorities and dynamics that made it a real conversation. They also played Haydn's last symphony with affection and flair.
Our trip was a bit of a musical pilgrimage, not so much in terms of concerts as not much happened in the various cities while we were there, often missing something by a day, but in terms of following footsteps, going to museums, graves and the like. For the central European leg of two weeks my wife and I were accompanied by our friend Russell, whom some of you may remember from the memorable 2016 New York CMG lunch.
We went to Eisenach, Leipzig, Dresden, Prague, Vienna, Slovenia, Italy (one hour on the way to Venice airport), the UK, and a one-night stop-over in Singapore to break up the 22-hour flight home. Composers we were able to particularly honour were Bach, Mendelssohn, Schumann, Haydn (we went to Eisenstadt, where we wondered how the Esterhazy's would feel about their relegation behind the great composer), Mahler (his birth place in Jlihava), Mozart, Beethoven and Brahms.
This post is already too long, so I'm going to start a new thread about an astonishing suggestion I heard.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Thu May 16, 2019 10:13 am

Another recital, May 14 in Holland, same Debussy works, and Scriabin 3rd Sonata again as in the earlier post here , but in May Scriabin 2nd Sonata added as well, and some Rachmaninoff Op.23 Preludes rather than from Op.32 as in the earlier post here.

https://www.nporadio4.nl/concerten/9114 ... achmaninov