Discovering clarinetist Andreas Ottensamer!

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Discovering clarinetist Andreas Ottensamer!

Post by Lance » Wed May 01, 2019 10:47 am

What a nice find for me … to discover this superb clarinetist through his numerous DGG and Decca recordings. Andreas comes from a family (father and brother: Ernst and Daniel) who are also clarinetists of the highest rank and appear together as The Clarinotts. They have recorded some very unusual repertoire. Their recordings are supported by the Bürgenstock Festival. Andreas, himself, fills the position of solo clarinet with the supreme Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra. His newest CD for Decca is called "New Era," and features him in music by Stamitz, Danzi, and Mozart in collaboration with flutist Emmanuel Pahud and Albredcht Mayer, cor anglais (the alto of the oboe) all with the Kammeracademie-Potsdam. I recommend their recordings whole-heartedly!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Rach3

Re: Discovering clarinetist Andreas Ottensamer!

Post by Rach3 » Wed May 01, 2019 10:56 am

See also my March 23 post here about his work with Yuja Wang.

John F

Post by John F » Wed May 01, 2019 11:38 am

Lance wrote:Andreas comes from a family (father and brother: Ernst and Daniel) who are also clarinetists of the highest rank
When I read that I thought, "Aha! Vienna Philharmonic." That orchestra has had many plsyers who were not just pupils of its principals but also their relatives. And indeed, the Wikipedia article says, "Ottensamer first gained his orchestral experience as substitute clarinet in the Vienna State Opera and the Vienna Philharmonic," of which his father and brother are members. But now he's principal clarinet of the Berlin Philharmonic. That's kind of like the offspring of generations of Harvard men going to Yale. (Which is what my brother did. :) )
John Francis

Belle

Post by Belle » Wed May 01, 2019 4:45 pm

Unfortunately the gorgeous and talented father, Ernst, died suddenly 2 years ago. This was a dreadful loss for music, Vienna and the Philharmonic. Actually, I sent Daniel a message on Facebook at the time and he was kind enough to respond to it!!

I remember seeing Ernst Ottensamer get onto my train after a performance but couldn't get to speak to him because he was surrounded!!

barney

Post by barney » Thu May 02, 2019 5:53 pm

Didn't Andreas become principal clarinet of the BPO at 21? Even now, he's barely 30. I really enjoyed his collaboration with Wang. He's just been to Australia, but only to the "minor" cities of Perth and Adelaide for some reason.