Leopold Kozeluch's Gustav Vasa

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Leopold Kozeluch's Gustav Vasa

Post by lennygoran » Sun May 05, 2019 6:16 am

A friend I know from England messaged me that BBC Radio 3 would be playing the opera gustav vasa by one Leopold Kozeluch on their Thursday afternoon opera slot. I had never heard of this composer before and the opera was done in Finland for the first time since the composers death-a contemporay of Mozart. Regards, Len

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0004s83

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopold_Koželuch

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Leopold Kozeluch's Gustav Vasa

Post by Lance » Tue May 07, 2019 12:16 am

Kozeluch, 1747-1818, was a prolific composer, and like you, I have not heard of this opera. He wrote piano concertos, songs, chamber works, symphonies, cantatas, many piano sonatas, clarinet, oboe and English horn concertos, and on and on. I have some 14 or 15 CDs of these works. Most of his works are not found on major labels, but on second tier labels such as CPO, Chandos, Grand Piano, Orfeo, MD&G, etc. Very interesting composer. But I don't know of any opera committed to disc.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

lennygoran

Re: Leopold Kozeluch's Gustav Vasa

Post by lennygoran » Tue May 07, 2019 8:21 am

Lance wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 12:16 am
Kozeluch, 1747-1818, was a prolific composer, and like you, I have not heard of this opera.
Lance thanks-I'd go see it if it came to NYC-we saw 2 operas that are not done too often in the US recently at the Koch Theater at Lincoln Center-Bánk Bán and Queen of Sheba--"The Hungarian State Opera (HSO), one of the world's busiest opera companies." Regards, Len