Pianist Katia Buniatishvili's new Schubert cd

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Pianist Katia Buniatishvili's new Schubert cd

Post by Rach3 » Sun May 12, 2019 12:14 pm

D.960, D.899 Impromptus,both complete:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0BNs0T ... g6A1v2HCJY

Some of "Standchen" from that cd :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQYW_jqpycM

5-minute interview ( in French ) on French tv about the cd ; perhaps some kind soul here can summarize her comments for us :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBw_sd2B-gA

Rach3

Re: Pianist Katia Buniatishvili's new Schubert cd

Post by Rach3 » Sun May 12, 2019 12:16 pm

barney

Post by barney » Sun May 12, 2019 12:37 pm

another review, in the Sydney Morning Herald

Khatia​ Buniatishvili's​ Schubert-playing is revolutionary, and I can't decide whether it is courageous or utterly self-indulgent. The brilliant young Georgian pianist reminds me of Glenn Gould's Beethoven, where his highly idiosyncratic approach brought out the inner voices, but distorted the shape. Buniatishvili​ plays Schubert's 21st piano sonata, the four D899 impromptus and a Liszt​ transcription of a Schubert song. There's no denying her pianism, but her conception is decidedly eccentric, with its impetuous and startling variations in tempo and dynamics, plus unorthodox rubati​. Her tempi range from tumultuous to glacial (the slow movement has barely any momentum), but she brings some lovely insights, subtleties of tonal colour and delicacy of touch. From the first movement's opening bars she has a shimmering sound, but uses extremes of speed and slowness from phrase to phrase. The excessive slowness is less disturbing than the snatched sections of really fast playing, and the mysterious modulations that led me to fall in love with the sonata decades ago are dashed off, their magic lost. I much prefer the seamless, spiritual approach of a Wilhelm​ Kempff​, although the Liszt​ transcription is peerless.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sun May 12, 2019 2:19 pm

Thanks for the Sydney review,Barney,
I have not been impressed with most of her previous playing I've heard, usually in concertos. However,here where the 2 reviews I posted ,and yours, are positive, I agree with the reviews ; where the 3 reviews are negative, I disagree with the reviews.
My recordings of D.960 are Schnabel,Richter,Joao Pires,Horowitz,Wuhrer,Buchbinder,and I've heard broadcasts with Hamelin , perhaps a couple others.For D.899,my recordings are Zimerman,Schnabel,Horowitz ( I think ),Horszowski.Have not heard Kempff in 960.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon May 13, 2019 8:13 am

Rach3 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 2:19 pm
Thanks for the Sydney review,Barney,
I have not been impressed with most of her previous playing I've heard, usually in concertos. However,here where the 2 reviews I posted ,and yours, are positive, I agree with the reviews ; where the 3 reviews are negative, I disagree with the reviews.
My recordings of D.960 are Schnabel,Richter,Joao Pires,Horowitz,Wuhrer,Buchbinder,and I've heard broadcasts with Hamelin , perhaps a couple others.For D.899,my recordings are Zimerman,Schnabel,Horowitz ( I think ),Horszowski.Have not heard Kempff in 960.
FWIW, I listened to some of her CD, found her eccentric, and left it.

Nobody beats Kempff in Schubert's Sonatas, and I'll be sticking with those for now.

barney

Post by barney » Mon May 13, 2019 8:25 pm

I should be honest and point out that the SMH review was by me. Did you really like the D960, Rach 3? What did you like about it? I found some phrasing delicious, but the overall conception incoherent and missing the magic.
Maestrob and I agree about Kempff, whom I cited in the review. I have 33 performances catalogued of D960, and many among them I regard as great.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Mon May 13, 2019 9:16 pm

barney wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:25 pm
I should be honest and point out that the SMH review was by me. Did you really like the D960, Rach 3? What did you like about it?
A spiritual approach is certainly a valid approach. Most 960's I've heard adopt that approach.To my ear, Buniatishvili shows a more Romantic, even Lisztian at times, spontaneous,improvisatory approach also works , brings some welcome light and life to the work , not missing depth but also not burdening the work with too much " heavenly length ". In Buniatishvili's interpretation, the sonata had similarities to one of his lieder cycles. Most performers I've heard treat the work very reverently ,somewhat like LvB's Op.111,which I'm not sure is what Schubert fully intended, and even if he did, a little less solemnity was welcome to my ear, and in keeping with some of his other music.I've now heard Kempff's 1951 Decca recording on YT.Very fine, very Classical, very Beethoven-esque.

barney

Post by barney » Mon May 13, 2019 10:04 pm

Thanks for that explanation. It's always interesting to learn how others weigh up the various characteristics and priorities.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue May 14, 2019 11:25 am

I have all of Buniatishvili's recordings thus far with the exception of the Tchaikovsky A minor Trio on ECM. Her new Schubert CD I am re-hearing at some point as time allows. Schubert's D960 is a truly spiritual work, and listening to the opening movement always lets me know immediately what I can expect. I still hold Clara Haskil's recording [Philips now Decca] on the highest plane with regard to the interpretation of this sonata. And of all people, virtuoso/bombastic pianist Lazar Berman recorded a wonderful performance for EMI that should be reissued (another performance appears on another label, Discover I think). You might not believe that Artur Rubinstein, so well known for his Chopin, could give to Schubert's D960, but it was his second recording that RCA released initially. Emotionally, the first recording was more magical under his hand. Later, after his passing, the original version was released, which was an ear-opener. Horowitz also recorded this early-on but the piece was out of character for him, I think most would agree.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]