Hillary Hahn plays Sibelius VC live

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Hillary Hahn plays Sibelius VC live

Post by Rach3 » Wed May 15, 2019 4:28 pm

Hillary Hahn plays my fav VC , the Sibelius, in Paris May 2, 2019, with Mikko Franck, ORTF, good quality,full screen option appears upper left of screen when you move your cursor over the screen after video opens by clicking arrow :

https://www.francemusique.fr/concert/ma ... -rf-franck

A good time was had by all ; must see TV.

stickles

Re: Hillary Hahn plays Sibelius VC live

Post by stickles » Thu May 16, 2019 9:09 pm

It is now intermission time at the Chicago Symphony. Hahn just perform the Sibelius VC under Alsop. Absolutely fabulous. Technically prowess aside her ability to achieve extremely long musical lines is staggering. Amazingly until now this wonderful musician had only one subscription appearance with the CSO twelve years ago.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun May 19, 2019 11:51 am

Listened to this yesterday, and was very impressed both with Hahn and the conductor, Mikko Franck (any relation to the composer?). More than a solid performance, this was well thought through, not dashed off, not a careless note or phrase played. I'm intrigued enough to hear the Symphonie Fantastique soon. Franck is not a conductor I know, but I admire his depth here. Some interesting CDs on amazon, including an 8 CD set of the symphonies of Rautavaara. Thanks for posting!

mikealdren

Post by mikealdren » Mon May 20, 2019 2:29 am

maestrob wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 11:51 am
any relation to the composer?
Given that Mikko is Finnish, I suspect that it is unlikely.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Mon May 20, 2019 8:41 am

It's also on YouTube in HD. See the What I Listened To Today thread.i still think of HH as a girl but she's 40 and a mom. Great performance!

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon May 20, 2019 12:32 pm

jserraglio wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:41 am
It's also on YouTube in HD. See the What I Listened To Today thread.i still think of HH as a girl but she's 40 and a mom. Great performance!
Just finished the Symphonie fantastique, and am here to report that this too is a fine performance of the work. Franck is a superb conductor, with a "just right" feeling to his tempi and shifts from one musical idea to the next. Crystal clear attention to difficult passages marked this performance, which I hope will be released on CD (Yes, it's that good!). Bravi tutti!