More rare Kathleen Ferrier, contralto!

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

More rare Kathleen Ferrier, contralto!

Post by Lance » Thu May 16, 2019 5:28 pm

SOMM CD 5004, 77:41

No question, in my mind, no other singer had a voice quite like British contralto Kathleen Ferrier. I have collected her recordings from the days of LPs forward since I was 17 years old. Fortunately, live recordings have been discovered since her untimely death in 1953 at the age of 41 (cancer). Her vocal quality immediately always advises that it IS Ferrier. To my mind, the only other singer that almost approached Ferrier's vocal quality in its lowest range was Dame Janet Baker. The other great British contralto was Dame Clara Butt, whom I have also collected voraciously.

Somm Records of England has just issued the only known performance of JS Bach's Magnificat, BWV 243 performed live in Vienna on June 10th, 1950. This is that performance's very first release. It includes quite a cast of singers, including Otto Edelmann, Irmgard Seefried, William Herbert, among others. Ferrier was the only non-German or Austrian or Australian singer in this Vienna performance conducted by Volkmar Andreae with the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra.

The fill-in material comes from Decca originals (originally on 10-inch LPs), which include Bach's Cantata 67 and Cantata 67 and "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" from Cantata 147, all with the Jacques Orchestra led by Reginald Jacques.

In 1949 in a letter to her friend and piano accompanist, John Newmark, Ferrier wrote: "Oh! The Magnificat - I am in my element in this sort of music." And so, she is!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

John F

Re: More rare Kathleen Ferrier, contralto!

Post by John F » Thu May 16, 2019 9:17 pm

Lance wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 5:28 pm
SOMM CD 5004, 77:41It includes quite a cast of singers, including Otto Edelmann, Irmgard Seefried, William Herbert, among others. Ferrier was the only non-German singer in this Vienna performance conducted by Volkmar Andreae with the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra.
This certainly looks worth hearing. One thing: William Herbert was not German but Australian, while Otto Edelmann was born in Vienna and had the accent to prove it - Austria wasn't in Germany except from 1938 to 1945.
John Francis

barney

Post by barney » Fri May 17, 2019 8:34 am

It looks a treasure, Lance.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri May 17, 2019 12:29 pm

barney wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:34 am
It looks a treasure, Lance.
Agree: I'm checking amazon right now. Thanks, Lance!

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Fri May 17, 2019 1:11 pm

Thank you, John Francis! I should have known better but wasn't thinking! :( My original post has been corrected!
John F wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:17 pm
Lance wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 5:28 pm
SOMM CD 5004, 77:41It includes quite a cast of singers, including Otto Edelmann, Irmgard Seefried, William Herbert, among others. Ferrier was the only non-German singer in this Vienna performance conducted by Volkmar Andreae with the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra.
This certainly looks worth hearing. One thing: William Herbert was not German but Australian, while Otto Edelmann was born in Vienna and had the accent to prove it - Austria wasn't in Germany except from 1938 to 1945.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]