Pianist Beveridge Webster redux

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Pianist Beveridge Webster redux

Post by Rach3 » Thu May 30, 2019 12:11 pm

Beveridge Webster , unbuttoned .

Only 96 kbps I believe ( maybe 192 ? ) , and volume sometimes low, but not to be missed.

1951 at Juilliard, Bach Sonata BWV 965, Brahms Variations on an Original Theme, Chopin’s 3rd Sonata, and an encore I did not recognize, possibly Brahms or Schumann ( the Brahms Variations are not complete, and while the Debussy Images Books are listed they are not there ). Spot of bother at the end of the Chopin, but still great:

http://jmedia.juilliard.edu/digital/col ... 3/id/10712

Schoenberg,Six Pieces,Op.19, Schubert Sonata D.894 , Chopin Nocturne Op.27,#2 and Op. 49 Fantasie, 1956 , venue not given , but seems to be at Juilliard :

http://jmedia.juilliard.edu/digital/col ... 027/rec/40

Playing Roger Sessions’ interesting Piano Concerto, Feb.10,1956, at Juilliard with Juilliard Orchestra under Jean Morel :

http://jmedia.juilliard.edu/digital/col ... 389/rec/14 ( At 22:10 in )

jserraglio

Re: Pianist Beveridge Webster redux

Post by jserraglio » Thu May 30, 2019 12:21 pm

Thanks for curating for us

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Fri May 31, 2019 7:23 pm

I've been through the Julliard site. Quite outstanding. I have long loved the work of Beveridge Webster. His DOVER recordings were outstanding, but unfortunately, apparently the master tapes were lost. I've communicated with Dover directly about this and with Webster's son. Nobody seems to know about the original tapes. Beveridge Webster made among the best recordings I have heard of von Weber's piano sonatas 2 and 3. Being a Baldwin piano artist, I've never heard Baldwins sounding better, as did Jorge Bolet's Baldwins or Bechsteins.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Fri May 31, 2019 8:51 pm

I have his Dover lp of the Rachmaninoff complete Etudes Tableaux, wonderful, purchased in 1967-68, and an mp3 of Brahms Op.9 Schumann Variations and complete Op.119.Real pity about the Dover loses.

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:37 am

That's a name I haven't heard in many years! I have two of Webster's Dover LPs: 1) Beethoven's Hammerklavier Sonata; and 2) Modern American Piano Music - Copland's Piano Variations, Sessions' Second Sonata, and Carter's Sonata.

He was an outstanding pianist but somehow never achieved the fame he deserved.