Apple's I -Tunes to be gone

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Apple's I -Tunes to be gone

Post by Rach3 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:41 pm

If you have items stored there now as I do :

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... es-842750/

Ricordanza

Re: Apple's I -Tunes to be gone

Post by Ricordanza » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:42 am

iPhones and iPads already offer separate Music, TV and Podcast apps in lieu of the centralized iTunes app that lives on Macs and Macbooks. Users can expect the new Music app to offer some of the same functionalities that iTunes currently does — such as purchasing songs and syncing phones — just with a sleeker interface that’s free of the outdated and oft-bemoaned features of the heritage product, and more closely bundled with streaming service Apple Music.
I, for one, never "bemoaned" iTunes (other than the quibble that it refers to classical pieces as "songs"). Has anyone used the Music app on their iPhone to purchase classical music? More importantly, what happens to all the music I've purchased through iTunes?

Beckmesser

Post by Beckmesser » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:35 am

I'm not quite sure what the implications of this development are for me.

I have probably never purchased more than a half dozen "songs" (can we call them tracks?) from iTunes. I did the use the iTunes app on my PC to rip hundreds of my own CDs, which files I then copied to my iPod. I assume I will still be able to do this?

I didn't let Apple move my music files to their Cloud. I assume the Cloud isn't going away.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:21 am

From another CM group:

"It looks like iTunes will be broken up into separate music, video and
podcast apps. You'll likely be able to continue what you do with Music
(or whatever it gets called)." Also heard that from another source.

I would like to think Apple would not eliminate your current I-Tunes files, or their functionality, whether in their Cloud or on your hard-drive ( mine are on my I-Mac HD ) without giving you warning and chance to save. Hopefully, "old" I-Tunes will still be functional , and wont have to purchase, transfer those old files, to an external drive, just use the new apps for new stuff.Need to follow the story , and probably prudent in any event to consider an external drive.I do have my I-Tunes backed-up on an external drive Time Machine ( with all the rest of my HD ) and also to a separate cloud backup service ( not Apple ).

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:26 am

2 separate comments from others,fww:

"Certainly gives them space to stop supporting older hardware and software and force people to pay for something new. Imagine if my iTunes stops being able to download Podcasts. More pressure on me to buy a new Mac. Right now the technology ecosystem, while presented on its face as "progress", is really just the mechanism by which they continue the revenue stream."

"Everything is geared toward cloud management these days which promises continuous revenue streams for storage. We're all dinosaurs for keeping our own media in any form."

"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Pogo.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:00 am

“Apple announced Monday that iTunes will be replaced by a trio of desktop apps called Music, TV and Podcasts -- similar to how these services are already divided on iPhones and iPads. It will still exist as a standalone iOS app and on Windows PCs.
Previous purchases and libraries will be maintained in each new app on Mac computers, a spokesperson told CNN Business.”

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/03/tech/itu ... index.html

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:48 am

I'm a dinosaur who refuses to do downloads, so this doesn't affect me. I want a physical product that I OWN, not some ephemeral file in the cloud that could disappear at a whim. CDs come with artwork, booklets, and a feeling of permanence like a good hardbound book. Neither format will go out of style altogether, I think. Note that amazon is still offering mp3 downloads, usually incomplete albums (When will they switch to FLAC????) which I do not listen to due to sound quality issues.

barney

Post by barney » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:24 am

I resent this greatly, typical high-handed Apple. I use iTunes to back up my phone, for example. A friend has burnt all my CDs, nearly 10,000, and put them on an NAS (don't ask me) which I access via iTunes. When I listened to podcasts I downloaded them through iTunes.
My next phone won't be Apple.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:32 am

barney wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:24 am
I resent this greatly, typical high-handed Apple. I use iTunes to back up my phone, for example. A friend has burnt all my CDs, nearly 10,000, and put them on an NAS (don't ask me) which I access via iTunes. When I listened to podcasts I downloaded them through iTunes.
Just so, Barney! It's exactly the anticipation of this kind of behavior from Apple that has kept me from participating.

barney

Post by barney » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:51 pm

maestrob wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:32 am
barney wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:24 am
Just so, Barney! It's exactly the anticipation of this kind of behavior from Apple that has kept me from participating.
I think they believe their own publicity, and think everyone loves them as much as they love themselves (the adoring fans camping out overnight to queue up to buy the latest gimmick). I'm an ordinary user, who takes advantage of the features useful to me and ignores the rest, and what I want is stability, not this arrogant abandoning of customers in the confidence that the customers will have to follow along.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:00 pm

Apple announces "exactly" how new I-Tunes will work:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/apple-ex ... 35054.html

barney

Post by barney » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:54 am

Thanks Rach3. Any idea if the same applies to Windows 10? I imagine it probably does.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:16 am

barney wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:54 am
Thanks Rach3. Any idea if the same applies to Windows 10? I imagine it probably does.
See, http://mashable.com/article/itunes-live ... utm_source

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:35 am

Smart playlists in I-Tunes may be gone in the new Mac Music app ? :

https://tinyurl.com/y2234lav

I hardly ever use that feature, but I'm sure many do.