Reynaldo Hahn: Piano Quintet in F# Minor

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Reynaldo Hahn: Piano Quintet in F# Minor

Post by Lance » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:15 pm

Reynaldo Hahn (1875-1947) was a prolific composer. He wrote a considerable number of songs, quite a bit piano music, but I was unfamiliar with his chamber music. Many of you know how interested I have become in the piano art of French pianist Alexandre Tharaud. I discovered a long-unavailable CD on the Naïve/Valois label [4848, 67:45] which contains Tharaud in tthe piano quintet with the Parisii String Quartet. It illustrates another side of Hahn, which I thought fascinating and entirely interesting. The disc is filled out with two string quartets. The Piano Quintet has had a few recordings, but I can't imagine them being better than the one with Tharaud. Impressive all the way around. •
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

John F

Re: Reynaldo Hahn: Piano Quintet in F# Minor

Post by John F » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:32 pm

Hahn was also a capable singer, pianist, and conductor. Here he sings "Un aura amorosa" from Mozart's "Così fan tutte," quite stylishly with the apoggiaturas in place, accompanying himself on the piano.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZI-iMITWfA

He also conducts a recording of Mozart's coronation concerto with Magda Tagliaferro as soloist. That too is on YouTube, in a terrible-sounding transfer; Hahn makes an extraordinary rallentando at the end of the first movement's orchestral introduction. Not so stylish after all.
John Francis

maestrob

Re: Reynaldo Hahn: Piano Quintet in F# Minor

Post by maestrob » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:57 am

John,

The things you find! I enjoyed that!
Thanks!