Balada's "Christopher Columbus" Opera - Caballé

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Balada's "Christopher Columbus" Opera - Caballé

Post by Lance » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:54 pm

Not knowing much about composer Leonardo Balada (b. 1933) his 2-CD set of his two-act opera Cristóbal Colón (1984-86) - Christopher Columbus - has come out on Naxos 660237-38 [64:52, 47:45], and, naturally, being entirely devoted to the voice of Montserrat Caballé not to mention José Carreras, the performance was recorded live at the Gran Teatre del Liceu in Barcelona, Spain between September 24 and 29, 1989. The production and engineering were accomplished by Sony/BMG. The Orchestra and Chorus of the Gran Teatre del Liceu is led by Theo Alcántara. Darius Milhaud also composed a Christopher Columbus that, I believe, had its premiere with Dimitri Mitropoulos of which I have a recording of the first half. Apparently the second half was never presented.

"From one of the world's great opera houses, the Gran Teatre del Liceu in Barcelona, comes Leonardo Balada's richly melodic opera about one of the world's great explorers, Christopher Columbus, commissioned by the Spanish government for the fifth Centennial of the Discovery of America. A superb cast, headed by José Carreras as Columbus and Monserrat Caballé as Queen Isabella of Spain, gained critical acclaim for their performances in what The Washington Times described as "a masterpiece ... a landmark score in the lyric theater of our time." [Jacket description]
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Re: Balada's "Christopher Columbus" Opera - Caballé

Post by maestrob » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:36 am

Interesting. This was issued ten years ago on CD, but I've not heard of the work until now. As a caveat, by this time Carreras was struggling with his high notes after singing Radames with HVK and undergoing chemotherapy for cancer. I'm curious, Lance, what did you think of this piece?

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:25 pm

Indeed, one can hear Carreras was struggling. In two words regarding the opera, I was not impressed. In comparison to what I know of Milhaud's work of the same name, I was impressed.
maestrob wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:36 am
Interesting. This was issued ten years ago on CD, but I've not heard of the work until now. As a caveat, by this time Carreras was struggling with his high notes after singing Radames with HVK and undergoing chemotherapy for cancer. I'm curious, Lance, what did you think of this piece?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

John F

Post by John F » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:11 pm

This was commissioned and composed for the 500th anniversary of Columbus's voyage, but it was finished too soon and the Liceu didn't sit on it for three years until the actual anniversary. I've heard about it but heard none of it.
John Francis