Rosbaud conducting Chopin Piano Concertos 1/2

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Rosbaud conducting Chopin Piano Concertos 1/2

Post by Lance » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:49 pm

The great Hans Rosbaud's ongoing series on the German SWR Classsics label has presented the two Chopin piano Concertos [19076, 68:46]. Both played with the Southwest Radio Orchestra of Baden-Baden. No. 1 (r. 1961) w/Hans Richter-Haaser, pianist; No. 2 (r.1951) w/Nikita Magaloff, pianist. The Magaloff performance is very fine except for a more distant sound from the piano. Disappointing was Richter-Haaser, who obviously has problems keeping up with the orchestra … he really "works" at it. Because Rosbaud was such an accomplished pianist himself, he "bends" his orchestra to meet Richter-Haaser's interpretation (or lack of facility). While I have very much appreciated the latter's pianism in Mozart and Beethoven, I'm afraid he is out of his element with music by Chopin.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Re: Rosbaud conducting Chopin Piano Concertos 1/2

Post by maestrob » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:42 am

Lance wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:49 pm
The great Hans Rosbaud's ongoing series on the German SWR Classsics label has presented the two Chopin piano Concertos [19076, 68:46]. Both played with the Southwest Radio Orchestra of Baden-Baden. No. 1 (r. 1961) w/Hans Richter-Haaser, pianist; No. 2 (r.1951) w/Nikita Magaloff, pianist. The Magaloff performance is very fine except for a more distant sound from the piano. Disappointing was Richter-Haaser, who obviously has problems keeping up with the orchestra … he really "works" at it. Because Rosbaud was such an accomplished pianist himself, he "bends" his orchestra to meet Richter-Haaser's interpretation (or lack of facility). While I have very much appreciated the latter's pianism in Mozart and Beethoven, I'm afraid he is out of his element with music by Chopin.
Thanks to your strong recommendation, Lance, I acquired the complete recordings of Nikita Magaloff on Decca (now no longer listed on amazon), and have enjoyed it immensely! Unfortunately, Magaloff didn't get around to recording Chopin II for that label: I'm glad to see you've discovered a recording of II. I may indeed buy this disc, if only for Magaloff's reading of the second concerto. Thanks for bringing this up. Is the disc below the one you're reviewing?