WQXR "Essential " piano recordings

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

WQXR "Essential " piano recordings

Post by Rach3 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:09 am

Yes, I know , but always fun to see what I may have missed :

https://www.wqxr.org/story/essential-piano-recordings/

maestrob

Re: WQXR "Essential " piano recordings

Post by maestrob » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:48 am

I don't know where to begin!

How could they leave out Gieseking's Debussy, or Richter's WTC??????

Certainly there are interesting discs here (I'm glad to see Perahia's & Uchida's Mozart, Brendel's Beethoven), but where are Arrau's Beethoven, Ashkenazy's Rachmaninoff, Van Cliburn's Tchaikovsky, De Larrocha's Iberia, Cortot's Chopin, Kempff's Schubert Sonatas, Paderewski's turn-of-the century discs.....

There's just so much important music missing from this list! AND nothing in monaurel sound!

Glad to see Tharaud represented, but Angela Hewitt's Bach is much better than her Ravel, IMHO.

John F

Post by John F » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:06 am

As usual, many of the ins and outs are baffling. What did their so-called "legwork" amount to? Including Clara Schumann and Cecile Chaminade is politically correct but hardly "essential" when the only Schubert is the impromptus and some of Liszt's song transcriptions.
John Francis

Holden Fourth

Post by Holden Fourth » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:35 pm

I think that the important phrase “..here are our favourites” should be taken into account as nowhere do they state this to be definitive.

John F

Post by John F » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:38 pm

Holden Fourth wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:35 pm
I think that the important phrase “..here are our favourites” should be taken into account as nowhere do they state this to be definitive.
What else does "essential" mean if not definitive? Of course none of the contributors wrote that headline, but they must have known from WQXR's previous lists what it would be.
John Francis