The Jupiter Symphony - again

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

John F

The Jupiter Symphony - again

Post by John F » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:02 am

Some time ago, I posted a detailed analysis of the last movement that revealed its contrapuntal ingenuity and complexity. But the symphony has three other movements too, and here's a commentary on the whole work by Anthony Payne, in the BBC series "Discovering Music." He has one of the BBC orchestras to play his musical examples.

Even if you know the symphony well, you'll find things here that are likely to surprise you. Payne stresses the unity of the work, how the four movements go together. He brings out details that you might not hear in a full performance, but his orchestra can make audible. And he not only tells us that Mozart changed the end of the slow movement at the last moment, as revealed in the manuscript of the full score - he has transcribed the original discarded ending and has the orchestra play it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p01yhxbx

I know there are some here who don't quite "get" Mozart, but I encourage you to give these 44 minutes a listen.

There are many such discussions in A"Discovering Music" on the BBC web site covering a large part of the orchestral repertoire. Some are too short, originating as intermission features in a broadcast concert; others are more like this one.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articl ... ers-a-to-z
John Francis

maestrob

Re: The Jupiter Symphony - again

Post by maestrob » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:08 am

My goodness, John, you are up early, or is it very late? :D

I will listen to and absorb your posts. I have admired, respected and loved Mozart's last two symphonies from a very early age, along with his fourth Violin Concerto and bassoon concerto, the latter of which is rarely played (IIRC mine was an old Parliament LP).

John F

Post by John F » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:44 am

11:02am is pretty late for me. :) I get enough sleep but since I'm retired, it's whenever I feel like it, and when I wake up, I'm awake.

Enjoy!

My list of essential Mozart is perhaps longer than yours (or anybody's), and it definitely includes the 39th symphony. This was the last of Mozart's big 4 that I heard, in a concert when I was 15. I could hardly believe how beautiful it is, in quite a different way from the other late symphonies, and at times it's my favorite of them all.
John Francis

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:14 pm

John F wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:44 am

Enjoy!

My list of essential Mozart is perhaps longer than yours (or anybody's), and it definitely includes the 39th symphony. This was the last of Mozart's big 4 that I heard, in a concert when I was 15. I could hardly believe how beautiful it is, in quite a different way from the other late symphonies, and at times it's my favorite of them all.
I DID enjoy Payne's analysis very much, and would recommend the program you linked above even to non-musicians, as Payne's descriptions ("columns of sound") certainly are easily understood by an educated layman, as was the intent of the program.

Anthony Payne is known to his audience as a first-rate musicologist. He reconstructed the sketches of Elgar's Third Symphony some years back, and managed to record them in a rather mediocre reading. Thankfully, Naxos recorded the work with a better conductor, and Sir Colin liked the work so well that he too performed and recorded it roughly a decade ago. I have the three recordings, and recommend the Colin Davis reading wholeheartedly. Luckily it's still available.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:23 pm

John F wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:44 am
Agreed about the 39th ( and waking early ) , and I would also add the 36th.

Belle

Post by Belle » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:31 pm

I'm not really a fan of Mozart these days but I do love those last 4 symphonies; these are a bedrock in my music library. And it's excellent to see intelligent analysis of these great works. The string quartets of Mozart are also favourites of mine and the 'Gran Partita' for winds is an absolute must-hear, which has long been in my collection: such energy and vitality and ingenuity!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUACDnehZFU