Pavarotti Film

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Pavarotti Film

Post by lennygoran » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:01 pm

After a fantastic early summer day and finally with no rain and after strolling in Central Park and meeting for our CMG forum lunch we got to the film this evening and enjoyed it a lot-hadn't seen a lot of the footage-definitely a figure larger than life imo-the Caruso of his time. Len

The conversation was so great at the CMG dinner I forgot to take some photos! :lol:

John F

Re: Pavarotti Film

Post by John F » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:15 am

lennygoran wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:01 pm
The conversation was so great at the CMG dinner I forgot to take some photos! :lol:
Yes, everyone had interesting things to say, so we kept the ball rolling so much that we almost forgot to order lunch, and then at the end the manager had to ask us (very politely) to leave the table so it could be set up for a party arriving in ten minutes.

We've had such good experiences at Pomodoro Rosso that I'm sorry to say I won't be going there any more. It's purely personal: my legs are growing weaker, they tire quickly, my legs are still stiff this morning from yesterday's walking, and getting from the nearest subway station to that restaurant is still possible for me but very unpleasant. For the next time, I'd appreciate it if we can choose an eatery nearer to the subway, a station with an elevator or escalator to the street. I'll have some suggestions when the time comes.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:04 am

John I look forward to your restaurant choices close to subway stops-we'll be in nyc alot this year and are pretty flexible. I'll keep people aware of when we're coming in-we like to book a hotel for maybe 3 nights so we can do alot of things when we do come in. Hope you can get relief for the leg problem. Len

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:51 am

lennygoran wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:04 am
John I look forward to your restaurant choices close to subway stops-we'll be in nyc alot this year and are pretty flexible. I'll keep people aware of when we're coming in-we like to book a hotel for maybe 3 nights so we can do alot of things when we do come in. Hope you can get relief for the leg problem. Len
Yes, of course I agree with this. I too have problems with walking more than a few blocks because of scoliosis, so look forward to John Francis's choices. Teresa and I had a wonderful time at Pomodoro Rosso and look forward to the next meeting.

My dinner time during the colder months is 7:30, while during Daylight Savings Time it's 8:30. Perhaps we could plan for a dinner at Crispo's during the week when they're quieter. This "Best Italian Restaurant in NYC" is quite reasonable (entrees about $27-$28) and is just steps away from the 7th and 8th Avenue subways at 14th Street. We know the staff very well (we're there every other week) and the food is excellent. They cater to Teresa's special needs for food preparation, and will do the same for you I'm sure. Separate checks are no problem.

We had a wonderful time meeting with everyone yesterday: too bad we forgot to take pictures!

Donald Isler

Post by Donald Isler » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:34 pm

Needless to say I also enjoyed seeing my CMG friends while having a fine lunch, and look forward to the time!
Donald Isler

John F

Post by John F » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:29 pm

The location of Crispo's looks good to me - less than a block from the 14th street station on the A and C lines which are the ones I always take from Brooklyn, and with an elevator to the street (when it's working, a big when on the MTA). It's for supper only, not lunch, and it's closed on Sundays, and it's far from any of the performance venues we go to, but with me that's OK since I don't go to many performances nowadays.

Their online menu doesn't list any entrées, just "Daily Meat & Fish," the menu says "Please call to inquire" but since we plan things well in advance, we can't do that. I would guess the price would be at least $35 and up. The salads and pastas are spelled out and are certainly affordable, but their wine list may not suit Len and Sue - the cheapest bottle is $41 for a pinot grigio and most are considerably more expensive than that.

All this said, I'd be happy to go along with Crispo's if others like it. And I'll look around for alternatives just in case.
John Francis

John F

Post by John F » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:18 pm

In the Lincoln Center area, we looked into Fiorello's but decided against it, I forget why, maybe the prices. There's another Italian restaurant nearby, Il Violino, which is pretty small and might not do for as many as 10 of us. Prices are similar to Pomodoro Rosso and there are prix fixe menus for lunch and dinner that are very reasonable. Most of the white wines and half of the red wines are $36-42 a bottle. It was renovated in 2009 and the interior photos look great but of course the space isn't any larger than it was.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:24 pm

John F wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:29 pm
but their wine list may not suit Len and Sue - the cheapest bottle is $41 for a pinot grigio and most are considerably more expensive than that.

All this said, I'd be happy to go along with Crispo's if others like it. And I'll look around for alternatives just in case.
John don't worry about the wine list-we can handle that-would love to know if you find other restaurants that make it for you. Regards, Len

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:31 pm

John F wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:18 pm
In the Lincoln Center area, we looked into Fiorello's but decided against it, I forget why, maybe the prices.
John they wouldn't give separate checks-they wouldn't guarantee they could put a table for 11 people together for us-otoh if it was just 6 or 8 of us I think this place might work for us-we'd like to try it.

HOURS:

BREAKFASTMonday – Friday: 8:00am – 11:30AM

LUNCHMonday – Friday: 11:30am – 4:00PM

DINNERMonday – Thursday: 4:00PM – 12:00AMFriday: 4:00pm – 12:30amSaturday: 3:00pm – 12:30amSunday: 3:00pm – 11:00pm

BRUNCHSaturday – Sunday: 9:00am – 3:00PM

If we had a Met opera starting at 7:30 we could easily do an early dinner.

Regards, Len

John F

Post by John F » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:41 pm

Nothing requires that a large party be seated at a single large table. The big meet-up at O'Neals' some years back was split among at least two round tables or maybe three; similarly some of the larger gatherings of CompuServe Music Forum. And there's nothing wrong with that. After all, when there are more than 6 or 8 at a table, only the people in the middle can converse with everyone else or even hear them.

The lunches we've had at Pomodoro Rosso, announced well in advance and with flexibility as to the date, didn't attract more than that; even Lance didn't come, hard as we tried to get him. It seems the days of big CMG meet-ups are no more. So I'd say, forget about the single table; as long as a restaurant can seat as many of us as choose to come, at however many tables, it's fine.
Last edited by John F on Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:47 am

John F wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:41 pm
Nothing requires that a large party be seated at a single large table. The big meet-up at O'Neals'some hears back was split among at least two round tables or maybe three
John so true-I remember the first CMG forum dinner Sue and I attended at Gabriel's Bar & Restaurant-there were quite a few tables for that one and also quite a few people! John B organized it. Regards, Len

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:07 pm

John F wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:29 pm
The location of Crispo's looks good to me - less than a block from the 14th street station on the A and C lines which are the ones I always take from Brooklyn, and with an elevator to the street (when it's working, a big when on the MTA). It's for supper only, not lunch, and it's closed on Sundays, and it's far from any of the performance venues we go to, but with me that's OK since I don't go to many performances nowadays.

Their online menu doesn't list any entrées, just "Daily Meat & Fish," the menu says "Please call to inquire" but since we plan things well in advance, we can't do that. I would guess the price would be at least $35 and up. The salads and pastas are spelled out and are certainly affordable, but their wine list may not suit Len and Sue - the cheapest bottle is $41 for a pinot grigio and most are considerably more expensive than that.

Actually, John, their entrees are never over $28.95 since we've been going there. I must point out that they're noisy until about 9PM when the early diners leave. Weekdays are quieter, especially Tuesday-Thursday. If we have a group that's 6-10 people, we can request the Empire Room, which is sheltered from the noise, or the Chef's room, which is a passageway from the front room to the large back room, next to the kitchen entrance.

Because of my sleep disorder, dinner during Daylight Savings Time would be 8:30 arrival for Teresa and me, but you can start earlier without me if you want. During Standard Time, (starting November 3), we can be there starting at 7:30PM.