Mariss Jansons cancels

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

John F

Mariss Jansons cancels

Post by John F » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:40 am

Jansons has had health problems for years. In 1996 he nearly died from a heart attack he suffered while conducting "La Boheme." This article isn't specific about the health reason for his cancellation, but no doubt it's serious.

Mariss Jansons Cancels Summer Concerts
By Francisco Salazar
June 27, 2019

Mariss Jansons has canceled all his summer performances in order to rest his health. The Bayerischen Rundfunks Symphoniker announced that the conductor on the advice of his doctors has to take a break in order to recover from health issues.

As a result, he has canceled all performances scheduled from June to August. The performances he has been forced to cancel include concerts with the BRSO in Munich, Ingolstad for the Audi Summer Concerts, Riga for the Riga Jurmala Music Festival, Lübeck for the Schleswig-Holstein Music Festival, Redefin for the Festspiele Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Londons for the BBC Proms, and Salzburg for the Salzburger Festspiele. Jansons was set to conduct music by R. Strauss, Brahms, Beethoven, Shostakovich, Sibelius, and Prokofiev.

Daniel Harding, Susanna Mälkki, and Yannick Nézet-Séguin will take over all performances for the maestro.

http://operawire.com/mariss-jansons-can ... -concerts/
John Francis

maestrob

Re: Mariss Jansons cancels

Post by maestrob » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:12 am

I'm an admirer of Jansons's work, although I don't have much in my collection. Taking a rest during the summer season is a good idea, especially now that things are getting hotter. Presumably some of Jansons's appearances would have been outdoors in heat and humidity, not good for an ailing heart. Good health to him.

John F

Post by John F » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:00 pm

Except for the Proms and the Salzburg Festival, these concerts aren't being given anywhere very important, and the three substitute conductors should give the festival-goers their money's worth.
John Francis

barney

Post by barney » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:14 pm

I haven't heard Malkki, but I esteem the others.
Harding has come to Australia more than once, and I heard the new Met director while on holiday in New Zealand, of all places.

Belle

Post by Belle » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:32 pm

I've always really liked Mariss Jansons and hope he goes well. I do especially remember this, from 2012 - just a very short time after my return from a year-long stay in Vienna. I sat watching this concert, especially at 16:20, and regretted having to return to Australia!! Now, I'm not a fan of the type of music played in the Neujahrskonzert, but there's something so uniquely Viennese about that boys' choir!!! I get pangs to the heart when watching them: and what a band accompanying them!! :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TOGG02IMl0

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:33 am

Belle wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:32 pm
I've always really liked Mariss Jansons and hope he goes well. I do especially remember this, from 2012 - just a very short time after my return from a year-long stay in Vienna. I sat watching this concert, especially at 16:20, and regretted having to return to Australia!! Now, I'm not a fan of the type of music played in the Neujahrskonzert, but there's something so uniquely Viennese about that boys' choir!!! I get pangs to the heart when watching them: and what a band accompanying them!! 😉

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TOGG02IMl0
We (my wife and I) watched that Neujahrskonzert when it was broadcast and recorded it: the atmosphere was so elevated, one expected the orchestra to float away on a cloud of champagne bubbles. Jansons is a maestro who gets little recognition in the States, but he is a powerful force in Europe, where much great music is made nowadays.

Belle

Post by Belle » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:27 pm

I've always admired Jansons, thinking him completely free of ego and histrionics!! My son and daughter-in-law have just arrived back from Europe after an aborted visit of just 3 weeks because of the unexpected election win here (the boss wants him back at work!!). We were looking at their pictures and we talked about Vienna - which they didn't reach. The desire to return is strong with my husband and myself, especially after those kinds of conversations - but we now have health issues!! Having looked at the program at the Musikverein for next year - late Feb to late May - I'm seriously considering the matter. Again.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:45 am

Belle wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:27 pm
I've always admired Jansons, thinking him completely free of ego and histrionics!! My son and daughter-in-law have just arrived back from Europe after an aborted visit of just 3 weeks because of the unexpected election win here (the boss wants him back at work!!). We were looking at their pictures and we talked about Vienna - which they didn't reach. The desire to return is strong with my husband and myself, especially after those kinds of conversations - but we now have health issues!! Having looked at the program at the Musikverein for next year - late Feb to late May - I'm seriously considering the matter. Again.
My advice, GO FOR IT WHILE YOU CAN! Sadly, my wife & I both have developed health issues that preclude us from traveling now, but we regret nothing because we traveled early on in our lives when we were young and fit and could enjoy the experience to the fullest. That said, there's a heat wave happening now in Europe, so be careful to book in the Fall! :wink: Maybe you'll catch Jansons after he gets his rest.

BTW: I never got to say congratulations on your surprise win in the elections, so here it is: Congratulations! 8) :D

Belle

Post by Belle » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:07 am

Thanks so much for your kindness and advice. My husband needs a double knee replacement and this will involve months of pain and rehabilitation. We could not consider going before Feb 2020. He wore his knees out working for the family so I naturally put his needs first. My husband is a real hero: selfless duty to family and no noise about it. All my sons are the same.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:16 am

Belle wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:07 am
Thanks so much for your kindness and advice. My husband needs a double knee replacement and this will involve months of pain and rehabilitation. We could not consider going before Feb 2020. He wore his knees out working for the family so I naturally put his needs first. My husband is a real hero: selfless duty to family and no noise about it. All my sons are the same.
Do wait for the warmer weather if you can! For such an operation, the Spring and Summer seasons can work miracles in recovery.

Belle

Post by Belle » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:08 pm

It is the tourists during the warmer weather which are bad for my nerves!! Cannot believe reports of the staggering heat in Europe. I'm enjoying the (Celsius) 3 degree nights here and the 20 degree days in the sun; our home faces north and we sit in the sun on our 40 foot verandah for lunch and afternoon tea. I have my bluetooth speaker and link from my Android whilst doing so. It annoys the neighbours, which is good because they won't control their barking dog. That is their bark and this is mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRnA8VaFzD8