Membran 10-CD boxed sets!

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Membran 10-CD boxed sets!

Post by Lance » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:32 pm

In the early years, some of those releases on this label were not engineered for the best possible sound being too widely filtered. Now, things seemed to have changed for the good. These sets usually cost between $15 or $22/USD for ten CDs … no notes, but at least recording information, accompanists, etc., for each artist appear on each cardboard sleeve. Lately I've been receiving quite a few of them and so far am very pleased with the compilations. On the more recent ones, I do not see the name "Membran" on the boxes, but instead "The Intense Media."

• 600517: Emanuel Feuermann [cellist]: "The Best of the Best" - Feuermann is still regarded as the "cellist's cellist." [1902-1942] - Music by Dvorak, Haydn, Handel, Strauss, Beethoven, Brahms, Schubert, Bach, Bloch, Bruch, Sarasate, Schumann, WeberAlbeniz, Davidov, Wrighton, Saint-Saens, Anton Rubinstein, Chopin, Sgambati, Fauré, Herbert. Collaborators include: Frank Black, Teddy Saidenberg, Gerald Moore, Franz Rupp, Wolfgang Rebner, Fritz Kitzinger, Malcolm Sargent, Theo van der Pas, Albert Hirsch, Artur Rubinstein, Jascha Heifetz, Myra Hess, Szymon Goldberg, Paul Hindemith, Leopold Stokowski, Frieder Weissman, Eugene Ormandy, Michael Taube. Anything with Rubinstein and Heifetz were lifted from the RCA Victor recordings; other performances were lifted from commercial recordings. However, processing is excellent in everything I've had some time to hear so far. Nice to have so much in a small boxed set.

• 600476: Ricardo Odnoposoff [violinist]: Miletones of Violin Legend. [1914-2004]. Music by Sarasate, Nin, Villa-Lobos, Beethoven, Ysaÿe, Tchaikovsky, Kreisler, Saint-Saens, Chausson, Smetana, Tartini, Torelli, Durante, Marcello, Vitali, Geminiani, Debussy, de Falla, Brahms, Bruch, Paganini, Prokofiev, Mendelssohn. Collaborators include: Walter Goehr, Paul Hupperts, Heinrich Hollreiser, Gianfranco Rivoli, Valentin Pavlowsky, Carl Bamberger, Jean Anotonietti, Leonid Hambro, Naurits van den Berg, Leo Rostal, Heinz Wehrle, Benjamin Oren, Felix Weingartner, Stefan Auber, Angelica Morales, Otto Herz, Gregory Ashman. While there is not all that much available with this now legendary violinist, this set becomes all the more appreciated!

• 600475: Zara Nelsova [cellist]: "The Cello Queen" [1918-2002] - Music by Bach, Barber, Beethoven, Bloch, Brahms, Dvorak, Kodaly, Lalo, Milhaud, Rachmaninoff, Reger, Saint-Saens, Schumann. Collaborators include: Ernest Bloch, Ernest Ansermet, Samuel Barber, Adrian Boult, Josef Krips, Georg Ludwig Jochum, Artur Balsam, Lothar Broddack, Much of this material was lifted from British Decca LPs. Transfers were largely excellent of a few items I've heard.

• 600455: Vasa Prihoda [violinist]: "Milestones of a Legend" [1900-1960] - Music by Paganini, Sarasate, Tchaikovsky, Vieuxtemps, Wieniawski Dvorak, Mozart, Bach, Verdi, Tartini, Vitali, Lalo, Elgar, Schubert, Smetana, Elgar, R. Strauss, Marx, Viotti. Collaborators include: Maria Bergmann, Itzko Orlovetzky, Otto A. Graef, Werner Schmidt-Boelcke, Richard Austin, Hans Schmidt-Isserstedt, Jaroslav Krombholc, Hans Muller-Kray, Ennio Gerelli, Charles Cerné, Franco Novello, Lydia Bechtold, Bruno Seidler-Winkler, Michael Raucheisen, Otto Eisen. This set is especially appreciated by yours truly. As I recall, Prihoda was married to violinist Alma Rosé, who died in a concentration camp. Again, this set fills the gap on one of the world's finest violinists. Some of the material in this set has been recorded live. One of the treasures, for me is Dvorak's Four Romantic Pieces, Op. 75 - poor recording quality, but at least the music is all there as rendered by this brilliant artist - with Otto A. Graef, pianist, recorded around 1954.

I would suspect, as time moves on and these sets go out of print - and as younger collectors become as interested in historical artists, these sets may garner top dollar. In the case of most of these artists
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Re: Membran 10-CD boxed sets!

Post by maestrob » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:39 am

I'll be glad to have that Feuerman set, Lance, but the other two are unknown to me, and one has to draw the line somewhere. Always appreciate your level of knowledge. Thanks for the alert! :D

PS: Your post ran out at the end......... :?:

John F

Post by John F » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:15 am

The only record I've heard by Odnoposoff is of Beethoven's triple concerto conducted by Felix Weingartner with Stefan Morales, cello, and Angelica Morales, piano with the Vienna Philharmonic. Not household names any of them; the days of all-star recordings of this concerto were well in the future.This is included in the Membran Odnoposoff box.

Morales was the wife of Emil von Sauer, a Liszt pupil who's much better known than she is. Stefan Auber was a member of the Kolisch Quartet for a couple of years after it moved to the US; he's in their recording of the Schoenberg string quartets; then he became Fritz Reiner's principal cellist in Pittsburgh. The concerto is not a great performance by any means, but it lets us hear the Vienna Philharmonic while still led by Arnold Rosé, with no string vibrato at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw77pehRutI
John Francis

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:52 pm

I'm surprise my post ran out at the end. All of it is showing on my screen. That's strange. I wonder if it did that, too, for John Francis?
maestrob wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:39 am
I'll be glad to have that Feuerman set, Lance, but the other two are unknown to me, and one has to draw the line somewhere. Always appreciate your level of knowledge. Thanks for the alert! :D

PS: Your post ran out at the end......... :?:
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:53 pm

Yes, I have the original 78s for the Triple Concerto and a couple of CD transfers of it. My reason for wanting that so long ago was because of my fascination with Felix Weingartner's conducting. I wonder, if, indeed, that recording was the first ever of Beethoven's Triple Concerto.
John F wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:15 am
The only record I've heard by Odnoposoff is of Beethoven's triple concerto conducted by Felix Weingartner with Stefan Morales, cello, and Angelica Morales, piano with the Vienna Philharmonic. Not household names any of them; the days of all-star recordings of this concerto were well in the future.This is included in the Membran Odnoposoff box.

Morales was the wife of Emil von Sauer, a Liszt pupil who's much better known than she is. Stefan Auber was a member of the Kolisch Quartet for a couple of years after it moved to the US; he's in their recording of the Schoenberg string quartets; then he became Fritz Reiner's principal cellist in Pittsburgh. The concerto is not a great performance by any means, but it lets us hear the Vienna Philharmonic while still led by Arnold Rosé, with no string vibrato at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw77pehRutI
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

John F

Post by John F » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:01 pm

Lance wrote:I wonder, if, indeed, that recording was the first ever of Beethoven's Triple Concerto.
Apparently so - it's listed as such in the World's Encyclopaedia of Recorded Music - unless there was an acoustic recording, which is very unlikely.
John Francis

barney

Post by barney » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:41 pm

Your post ran out at the end for me too.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:28 pm

Here it is again, hope it all comes through.

In the early years, some of those releases on this label were not engineered for the best possible sound being too widely filtered. Now, things seemed to have changed for the good. These sets usually cost between $15 or $22/USD for ten CDs … no notes, but at least recording information, accompanists, etc., for each artist appear on each cardboard sleeve. Lately I've been receiving quite a few of them and so far am very pleased with the compilations. On the more recent ones, I do not see the name "Membran" on the boxes, but instead "The Intense Media."

• 600517: Emanuel Feuermann [cellist]: "The Best of the Best" - Feuermann is still regarded as the "cellist's cellist." [1902-1942] - Music by Dvorak, Haydn, Handel, Strauss, Beethoven, Brahms, Schubert, Bach, Bloch, Bruch, Sarasate, Schumann, WeberAlbeniz, Davidov, Wrighton, Saint-Saens, Anton Rubinstein, Chopin, Sgambati, Fauré, Herbert. Collaborators include: Frank Black, Teddy Saidenberg, Gerald Moore, Franz Rupp, Wolfgang Rebner, Fritz Kitzinger, Malcolm Sargent, Theo van der Pas, Albert Hirsch, Artur Rubinstein, Jascha Heifetz, Myra Hess, Szymon Goldberg, Paul Hindemith, Leopold Stokowski, Frieder Weissman, Eugene Ormandy, Michael Taube. Anything with Rubinstein and Heifetz were lifted from the RCA Victor recordings; other performances were lifted from commercial recordings. However, processing is excellent in everything I've had some time to hear so far. Nice to have so much in a small boxed set.

• 600476: Ricardo Odnoposoff [violinist]: Miletones of Violin Legend. [1914-2004]. Music by Sarasate, Nin, Villa-Lobos, Beethoven, Ysaÿe, Tchaikovsky, Kreisler, Saint-Saens, Chausson, Smetana, Tartini, Torelli, Durante, Marcello, Vitali, Geminiani, Debussy, de Falla, Brahms, Bruch, Paganini, Prokofiev, Mendelssohn. Collaborators include: Walter Goehr, Paul Hupperts, Heinrich Hollreiser, Gianfranco Rivoli, Valentin Pavlowsky, Carl Bamberger, Jean Anotonietti, Leonid Hambro, Naurits van den Berg, Leo Rostal, Heinz Wehrle, Benjamin Oren, Felix Weingartner, Stefan Auber, Angelica Morales, Otto Herz, Gregory Ashman. While there is not all that much available with this now legendary violinist, this set becomes all the more appreciated!

• 600475: Zara Nelsova [cellist]: "The Cello Queen" [1918-2002] - Music by Bach, Barber, Beethoven, Bloch, Brahms, Dvorak, Kodaly, Lalo, Milhaud, Rachmaninoff, Reger, Saint-Saens, Schumann. Collaborators include: Ernest Bloch, Ernest Ansermet, Samuel Barber, Adrian Boult, Josef Krips, Georg Ludwig Jochum, Artur Balsam, Lothar Broddack, Much of this material was lifted from British Decca LPs. Transfers were largely excellent of a few items I've heard.

• 600455: Vasa Prihoda [violinist]: "Milestones of a Legend" [1900-1960] - Music by Paganini, Sarasate, Tchaikovsky, Vieuxtemps, Wieniawski Dvorak, Mozart, Bach, Verdi, Tartini, Vitali, Lalo, Elgar, Schubert, Smetana, Elgar, R. Strauss, Marx, Viotti. Collaborators include: Maria Bergmann, Itzko Orlovetzky, Otto A. Graef, Werner Schmidt-Boelcke, Richard Austin, Hans Schmidt-Isserstedt, Jaroslav Krombholc, Hans Muller-Kray, Ennio Gerelli, Charles Cerné, Franco Novello, Lydia Bechtold, Bruno Seidler-Winkler, Michael Raucheisen, Otto Eisen. This set is especially appreciated by yours truly. As I recall, Prihoda was married to violinist Alma Rosé, who died in a concentration camp. Again, this set fills the gap on one of the world's finest violinists. Some of the material in this set has been recorded live. One of the treasures, for me is Dvorak's Four Romantic Pieces, Op. 75 - poor recording quality, but at least the music is all there as rendered by this brilliant artist - with Otto A. Graef, pianist, recorded around 1954.

I would suspect, as time moves on and these sets go out of print - and as younger collectors become as interested in historical artists, these sets may garner top dollar. In the case of most of these artists
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:04 am

Above is the last paragraph that I could read, Lance. FWIW......