Today's Nixon in China mccarter theater princeton

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Today's Nixon in China mccarter theater princeton

Post by lennygoran » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:19 pm

Our first time ever to mccarter theater in princeton-they did a lovely job with the opera. Princeton is only a little more than an hour from our house-we should get here more often-the campus was as nice as we had remembered. We finished at a wonderful french restaurant very close to the theater. Len

BTW I noticed this in the playbill:
"The principal singers are miked according to instructions from the composer."

Richard Nixon

Sean Anderson

“Sean Anderson’s Count [in the Festival’s 2015 Figaro] dominated the action … smooth, flexible, resonant voice.” – Opera News

Pat Nixon

Rainelle Krause

“The voice was pure, the intonation absolute. She was a pleasure to hear.” – The Herald Times; “Vivacious!” – Opera News

Chairman Mao

Cameron Schutza

“He sang … with authority.” – operawarhorses.com; “Clarity of tone, ringing high notes.” – Opera Magazine

Madame Mao

Teresa Castillo

“Young soprano Teresa Castillo … imbued the role’s coloratura with equal turns ardor and unshakeable dread.” – Opera News

Henry Kissinger

Joseph Barron

Festival favorite in Peter Grimes (2016), Fidelio (2017). “Vocally robust … lyrically malevolent.” – Anthony Tommasini, New York Times

Premier Chou En Lai

John Viscardi

“His robust singing is outdone only by his near-maniacal acting ability.” – Wayne F. Anthony, The Toledo Blade

1st Secretary

Liz Culpepper

Suzuki in Madama Butterfly, featured soloist with Indiana University’s New Music Ensemble NOTUS.

2nd Secretary

Emily Marvosh

“Emily Marvosh’s luminous contralto voice glorified all it touched.” – Boston Globe

3rd Secretary

Edith Dowd

Has appeared in numerous productions with New York City Opera, Sacramento Opera, and more.

maestrob

Re: Today's Nixon in China mccarter theater princeton

Post by maestrob » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:47 am

Hi, Len!

I have two connections to Princeton. The first is that my voice teacher, Dan Merriman, was invited there to give a series of guest lectures on his vocal technique (He was a pupil of Cornelius Ried.) during the mid-1980's. The second is that one of my pianists in my competition (Regina Yakubtsiner), who came to me from the Maryinsky Theater (she was an Assistant Conductor for Gergiev) in the early 1990's, was sponsored by Igor Kipnis when she came to the U.S. with her family, may still be on staff in the musical program at Princeton.

Of course, I also consider Paul Krugman, an economics professor there, a must-read in the NY Times twice a week! :D

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:09 pm

maestrob wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:47 am
Hi, Len!

I have two connections to Princeton.
Brian I'll be paying more attention to the McCarter theater when it comes to opera offerings-their Nixon in China was wonderful. We spent half the day today in downtown Princeton-very impressive-then we spent the other half of the day along the NJ shore-Ocean Grove-perfect weather! Regards, Len

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:27 am

Hi, Len!

You've probably guessed that my favorite shot of the ones you posted was the CD store! 8) :lol:

Glad you and Sue had a good time there.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:13 am

maestrob wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:27 am
You've probably guessed that my favorite shot of the ones you posted was the CD store! 8) :lol: Glad you and Sue had a good time there.
Brian thanks-yeah I did sort of think that-I'll admit Sue and I didn't even go in. Regards, Len :oops: