Live performances of note

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Live performances of note

Post by Rach3 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:53 am

Wonderful recital of Rachmaninoff songs and Schubert’s D.959. Rachmaninoff’s songs for female voice seem more attractive than those for male voice (?) , D.959 perhaps my fav Schubert sonata:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0006ffp

Rachmaninov: Son, op. 38/5; Ne poi, krassavitsa, pri mne, op. 4/4; Ostrovok, op. 14/2; Oni otvetxali, op. 21/4

Katharina Konradi, soprano, 
Wolfram Rieger, piano

Schubert: Piano Sonata No 20 in A, D959

Igor Levit, piano

Vilabertran,Spain,2018 Festival.

World premiere of Charles Villiers Stanford’s Violin Concerto last month in England, at about 18 minutes into this broadcast. Per the BBC presenter, the work , by then 23-year old composer, was shown in 1875 by the composer to Joachim , but BBC gives no reason why not performed “in public” until now. To my pianophile ear the 37-minute work is well-crafted,although perhaps not memorable, on the lighter rustic side, with the exception of the very fine slow mov. Worth a hearing IMHO. I did do a back-to-back repeat.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0006ffy

maestrob

Re: Live performances of note

Post by maestrob » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:46 am

Rach3--Thanks for that!

I'm very interested in performances of Rachmaninoff songs (called Romances in Russian), and find them extremely satisfying. I had a lovely Ukranian soprano in my competition who specialized in Rachmaninoff, and as a bonus to her I invited her to perform her best repertoire in a Semi-finals concert: she was well-received. If you're interested, I recommend the CD set of Rachmaninoff's complete Songs below:

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:58 pm

maestrob wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:46 am
If you're interested, I recommend the CD set of Rachmaninoff's complete Songs below:
Thanks. I do have a single cd of his songs for male voice, but will now follow up for a cd for female voice.

John F

Post by John F » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:07 pm

Elisabeth Söderström and Ashkenazy recorded the Rachmaninoff songs for female voice, as here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPYMZXM5WmA

I see that her mother was Russian. Galina Vishnevskaya and Rostropovich recorded a selection of the songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKmcGbUMWVo

The Russian song literature is very rich - Rachmaninoff, Musorgsky, Tchaikovsky, and others - but for some reason, non-Russian singers don't often include any of it in their recitals.
John Francis

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:22 am

I would hazard two guesses why they are not often performed: 1)The politics of the XXth Century precluded interest in Russian songs in general among Western students, and 2) The Russian language is perceived as quite different from Romance languages and even German, intimidating students who simply don't study it. My Russian classes at Villanova were comprised of fewer than 10 students at the beginners' level in 1968 & '69.

In actuality, Russian is very comfortable in the voice: the vowels are like basic Italian or Spanish, very pure and simple, except for bI which can be sung as "ee" with a slight deepening (hard to descibe but easy to demonstrate). The consonants are no more difficult than German, actually.

With all the thousands of singers I auditioned, I never had any offer a Russian aria who was not born under the iron curtain.

John F

Post by John F » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:59 am

Many Western singers have sung in Russian operas - "Boris Godunov," "Evgeny Onegin," and so on - since they started being performed in Russian rather than English or Italian at the Met, Covent Garden, etc. But vocal recitals have become pretty scarce in recent years, and enterprising explorers of the art song repertoire like Fischer-Dieskau rarer still. For that matter, DFD never sang in Russian as far as I know, though he recorded songs in French and English as well as German.
John Francis

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:20 pm

John F wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:59 am
Many Western singers have sung in Russian operas - "Boris Godunov," "Evgeny Onegin," and so on - since they started being performed in Russian rather than English or Italian at the Met, Covent Garden, etc. But vocal recitals have become pretty scarce in recent years, and enterprising explorers of the art song repertoire like Fischer-Dieskau rarer still. For that matter, DFD never sang in Russian as far as I know, though he recorded songs in French and English as well as German.
Yes, I remember Sam Ramey and George London in Boris Godunov, and Renee Fleming in Onegin as examples, but Pinza sang Boris in Italian, IIRC.

John F

Post by John F » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:41 pm

The Met performed "Boris" in Italian through the 1940s, though when Chaliapin or Kipnis took the title role he sang in Russian. Rudolf Bing replaced the Rimsky-Korsakov version with a new one by Karol Rathaus based on Musortsky's original, but had an English translation made which was sung until Bing's retirement; both the edition and the language were why Boris Christoff declined to sing at the Met. Finally, in 1974, the opera was sung in the original Russian, as it has been ever since. There were no Russians in the cast, though Martti Talvela in the title role doubtless knew Russian as many Finns do.

Other Russian operas sung in English in Rudolf Bing's time include "Evgeny Onegin" and "Queen of Spades," and operas in other Slavic languages were also done in English, notably "Jenufa."
John Francis

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:11 pm