Woody Allen at La Scala

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

John F

Woody Allen at La Scala

Post by John F » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:05 am

Presumably this is the same production he created at the Los Angeles Opera.

Woody Allen makes opera directing debut in Italy
By Ian Mohr
July 2, 2019

While Woody Allen wages a multimillion-dollar legal battle against Amazon for allegedly backing out of a film deal — and some Hollywood stars distance themselves from his work — the “Annie Hall” director is receiving a warm welcome in Europe to make his opera directing debut in Milan. Allen arrived to applause at a press conference, reports said, before the weekend opening of his production of Puccini’s comedy, “Gianni Schicchi,” at the famed La Scala opera house.

“I know when I started making movies… for whatever reason I always had a very warm and affectionate following in Europe,” Allen, 83, said. “And even when films of mine were not as well received in the United States, always in Italy, France and Germany, all over Europe, they received my films well.”

Placido Domingo encouraged him to direct the opera, he said.

Along with the La Scala opera, a Milan museum is launching an Allen retrospective of his films...

https://pagesix.com/2019/07/02/woody-al ... ian-opera/
John Francis

maestrob

Re: Woody Allen at La Scala

Post by maestrob » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:52 am

Roman Polanski was also welcomed in Europe in spite of his scandals here.

Belle

Re: Woody Allen at La Scala

Post by Belle » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:52 pm

Polanski is a fine film-maker, as was Allen once (until he stopped making 'the early funny ones'). There's very often a real disconnect between a human being and the integrity of his art, as we well know.

I watched "Hannah and Her Sisters" again recently and was concerned to see Allen's current wife sitting at the dinner table in Hannah's apartment at about 6 years of age. This had a 'yuk' factor. Otherwise, his very best film ever. The use of music in that film was just brilliant.