André Previn: Hear the Many Facets of a Musical Polymath

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:31 am

By Zachary Woolfe
March 1, 2019

ImageAndré Previn . . . may well have been the last of the great 20th-century American musical eclectics.

Note: The original NYT article on its webpage contains many audio illustrations that cannot be copied into a CMG page.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/01/arts ... -dead.html

maestrob

Re: André Previn: Hear the Many Facets of a Musical Polymath

Post by maestrob » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:43 am

As an opera buff, I've always admired Previn for writing "Streetcar," and I must admit that it's more successful than Bernstein's "A Quiet Place." That said, Bernstein's"West Side Story" remains one of the most successful musicals of all time. Previn never equaled that. Bernstein's work for Violin and Orchestra (Serenade) is also better than Previn's engagement present to Mutter, to my ears at any rate. As to Previn's jazz playing at the piano, it's generic, and he was right to leave that field for greener pastures in the classical world, where he excelled in British music (Vaughan-Williams and Walton are just two examples).

He was, IMHO, a good conductor but rarely a great one. That said, I envy his polymath abilities: even though I like jazz very much, I could never perform it.

Thanks for the article, jserraglio.