Medici TV

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Belle

Medici TV

Post by Belle » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:44 am

Beware of this subscription service. I was very skeptical about signing up a year ago because I was worried about stopping it, since it is deducted from my American Express account. Sure enough, despite activating "unsubscribe" in the "my account" section they have disregarded that and signed me again for another 12 months - this time at A MUCH HIGHER RATE. I've fired off a furious email and expect a refund but I'm warning people here about them. I should have followed my instincts originally when I felt it would be impossible to stop subscribing once you do so. We don't have the money to waste on the service, especially when the internet reception here is so appalling and we've just bought an investment property. Anyway, I never thought their programming was up to snuff with a huge amount of old, archived material and the more recent concerts only available for a short number of months. All I can do is contact American Express and see if there's something I can do through them. AVOID.

John F

Re: Medici TV

Post by John F » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:51 am

In a situation like that, with no way to contact the company by phone, I'd contact American Express, tell them that the payment to Medici is unauthorized and against my specific request to Medici, and ask that the payment be canceled and credited back to my AmEx account. Any reputable credit card company will do that if its card or the card number has been stolen, so they should be able to do it for you.
John Francis

Belle

Post by Belle » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:21 am

John F wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:51 am
In a situation like that, with no way to contact the company by phone, I'd contact American Express, tell them that the payment to Medici is unauthorized and against my specific request to Medici, and ask that the payment be canceled and credited back to my AmEx account. Any reputable credit card company will do that if its card or the card number has been stolen, so they should be able to do it for you.
Thanks. I've been onto the "chat" function tonight with American Express and they've provided me with a conversation "reference" number and have said it will be a 'disputed' payment when it comes in. What galls me is that the amount of 'renewal' is hugely more than the original first year. Anyway, I'm hoping Amex sorts it out for me after our 25 years as customers and using the card through thick and thin (when businesses continue to charge levies to use it). Actually, I've found Amex a first class outfit to deal with and they've never missed a beat - and their rewards program has been second to none (though they've changed it all this year). But why should I have to go through these steps when I did everything Medici TV said I should if I wanted to avoid re-subscribing!!?? Caveat emptor! :(

American Express - tick
Medici TV - thumbs down

John F

Post by John F » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:46 am

The deeply discounted price for the first year is standard in American telecommunications. When I signed up with Time Warner Cable as my TV and Internet service provider, the price was definitely a bargain, but after the first year those services got really expensive, and they still are. But it's the same with Verizon and the other ISPs, and one must have Internet broadband, so I have to grin and bear it.

What's not standard is for the provider to ignore a subscriber's demand to discontinue the service. I looked all over the Internet for a way to contact Medici billing or customer service by phone, but couldn't find it. But I did find this (probably you have too)👍
How can I prevent the automatic renewal?

To prevent the automatic renewal of your plan, you must unsubscribe.

To unsubscribe, you must log in to medici.tv from a computer. Then, go to “My account” and click on “Unsubscribe from medici.tv Premium”.
https://medicitv.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/a ... c-renewal-

Good luck!
John Francis

Belle

Post by Belle » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:48 am

Thanks. Yes, I activated "unsubscribe" on "My Account" at Medici in June - in time, I thought, for the 26 July renewal. Actually, I was worried right from the start that this would happen and it's a lesson about not listening to one's instincts!! I have contacted them in the past about lost passwords and other 'help' functions and they've taken ages to reply!!

John F

Post by John F » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:26 am

Curious, I looked for where Medici TV's offices are. Here:

54, rue de Paradis
75010 Paris, France

No sign that they have a toll-free phone number (or any phone number at all), so I guess they don't want their customers to bother them. France - what can I say? :mrgreen:
John Francis

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:01 am

Hello, Belle.

I have friends who have had trouble with medici also, similar to your problem right now. I'm sure Amex will take care of the situation for you: this kind of problem is routine for them. I've avoided medici, waiting for them to get better, but no dice, so based on your warning I will continue to do so.

Belle

Post by Belle » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:06 pm

It seems Amex has paid MediciTV, despite my hour-long conversation on Saturday with them via "chat". My husband is on the phone now, scissors in hand, ready to cut up both our American Express cards!! They've said they'll 'investigate' and put a block in future on the merchant but if we have to end up paying this one we'll cut up both our cards. What I want to know is how Medici can get away with acting fraudulently like this?

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:52 pm

maestrob wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:01 am
I have friends who have had trouble with medici also, similar to your problem right now.
Brian I know people who love medici-my problem is that too often the operas they do don't have English surtitles. Regards, Len :(

Belle

Post by Belle » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:38 am

lennygoran wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:52 pm
maestrob wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:01 am
I have friends who have had trouble with medici also, similar to your problem right now.
Brian I know people who love medici-my problem is that too often the operas they do don't have English surtitles. Regards, Len :(
Yes, another of my grievances about that organization!! No subtitles is also a deal breaker.

Belle

Post by Belle » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:53 pm

Update: American Express is disputing this charge and I don't have to pay it while it is the subject of a dispute. Meanwhile, repeated emails to MediciTV have proven fruitless. Dodgy outfit.

Belle

Post by Belle » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:23 am

Unable to contact MediciTV no matter how many attempts I've made to email. Completely disreputable organization. Beware.

Belle

Post by Belle » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:11 am

I finally heard from this dodgy crowd. American Express has written to us to say they are removing the charge from our account. Phew!! They've been really excellent. And they've said they're blocking future payments to MediciTV. What MediciTV have written below is vastly different from their original instructions and more complicated than merely activating 'unsubscribe' as all that is required to stop the service. It is a full-on complicated process they're not telling consumers about until it's too late!!

After 5 emails I had written over 10 days I finally got this response from MediciTV:

The unsubscribe button is followed by a confirmation survey, if you didn't complete the process, your plan remains active and it is announced on your medici.tv profile.(Absolutely incorrect; I got no such notification.)
I am sorry but there is nothing I can do to refund since there is a dispute on the amount.

Please note that you didn't unsubscribe yet (yes I did!) and it is possible to do so directly from our site http://fr.medici.tv/ from a PC or Mac (it is not possible for the moment to unsubscribe from a smartphone or tablet ). (I didn't do this!) Log in with your email address and your usual password, then go to the "My Account" tab, then to "My subscription" and click on "I unsubscribe from medici.tv Premium", then fill in the survey to complete the process.
Please note that, if you don't receive an unsubscribing confirmation, it means that your unsubscribing hasn't been completed.

(Berliner Philharmoniker Digital Concert Hall - brilliant; no problems whatsoever in any way.)

CAVEAT EMPTOR. MediciTV needs to be upfront about this process at the time of signing up to its service and not afterwards when you want it to be discontinued.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:32 am

Belle:

Unwanted recurring charges are a true pain in the a**. Whenever we call up to order from catalogs, the phone reps invariably try to get us to enroll in some kind of discount club or even "apply" for a new credit card. We always say no, but we have to say NO! several times before they give up. Credit card companies know about these tactics and will oblige their customers by blocking unwanted monthly amounts. I'm glad your situation was finally resolved in your favor: Medici is not alone in pressuring customers and setting up barriers to cutting off their services.

Belle

Post by Belle » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:17 pm

We've never had this trouble before, with any credit card. It's all new to me. As I said, the BPO is absolutely brilliant with its systems and service. I only stopped it because of poor internet reception.

The experience with MediciTV has been extremely stressful and we hope it is now resolved. Obviously they are rank amateurs at that organization over there in Paris!!

barney

Post by barney » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:22 pm

Either that or they are highly professional. It's a good way of maximising income, though it's a form of fraud.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:39 am

barney wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:22 pm
Either that or they are highly professional. It's a good way of maximising income, though it's a form of fraud.
Yes, indeed! My point exactly. :mrgreen: