Silliest opera productions

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

barney

Silliest opera productions

Post by barney » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:45 pm

Over on the Bayreuth Tannhauser thread there have been a couple of posts about silly opera productions (TheHorn and myself). Directorial ego and self-indulgence has led to some wonderful excrescences and I would love to hear of your (least) favourite experiences. I reckon there's an article in there. :D

Belle

Re: Silliest opera productions

Post by Belle » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:49 pm

Definitely Rita Hunter as "Aida", many years ago at SOH. The audience gasped when she appeared onstage!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZbug54k3nM

barney

Post by barney » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:56 pm

I was told by another singer that Rita could not climb three steps and sing because she was so out of breath! Reminds of the lovely line by Clive James about Montserrat Caballe singing Tosca in Japan (which I may have shared before): "The Japanese were impressed. It was clear that they hadn’t seen anything that size since the battleship Missouri anchored in Tokyo Bay in 1945."
But while Rita Hunter would not be able to sit on a beach without volunteers rushing up to roll her back into the water, she had a great voice. Made for recordings! :D

barney

Post by barney » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:05 pm

I've watched that clip now, Sue. How delightful! Wonderful anecdotes about the Trovatore. Thanks for sharing that.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:46 pm

barney wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:45 pm
(TheHorn and myself). Directorial ego and self-indulgence has led to some wonderful excrescences and I would love to hear of your (least) favourite experiences. I reckon there's an article in there. :D
Barney me too-that Rigoletto from the Met in Las Vegas-the Rat Pack-one of the worst. Regards, Len :(