Horowitz: "Come Back" Edition!

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Horowitz: "Come Back" Edition!

Post by Lance » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:34 pm

Sony Classical 93533, 15 CDs

A couple of days ago, the new book-style Horowitz "Come Back" edition
arrived, which includes two CDs of dialogue between Abram Chasins and his old friend Horowitz! Sony has done their usually excellent job in the presentation with many photographs of Horowitz's return to Carnegie Hall in May 1965. Within the book you get the full story of the pianist's return to the stage of a dozen years in "retirement." And three new essays by people who knew him.

We have the first release of six unheard, private recitals at Carnegie Hall, two complete studio sessions, and two remastered concerts; also the first-ever release of stunning improvisations. The book is a richly illustrated 212 page books portraying the vents of spring 1965.

The problem with Horowitz throughout his many recordings is the duplication/triplication, etc., of his repertoire, however, he never played a piece twice the same way. Then there are always a few things never recorded before. We get a chance to look in to his development over many years. In listening to a few of the discs already, you would know instantly it is Vladimir Horowitz at his fabled, sometimes strident, Steinway grand pianos. How he loved them!

Can we EVER get enough of Horowitz?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

barney

Re: Horowitz: "Come Back" Edition!

Post by barney » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:18 pm

It sounds excellent, Lance. How many CDs all up, and does it fit on a bookshelf?

Donald Isler

Post by Donald Isler » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:09 am

Can we ever have enough of Horowitz? No!

There are all the recordings he made, and there's also the repertoire he played, but unfortunately never recorded. For instance, as I learned at an ARSC meeting, there was a 1945 Carnegie Hall concert which included his only known performance of the Prokofiev 8th Sonata. But there's no recording of that recital.

As for Abram Chasins, there are two recorded interviews he did with Horowitz which one can hear on Youtube.
Donald Isler

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:36 am

Well, I surely cannot get enough of Horowitz either, that's for sure! In fact, I have the Carnegie Hall set of his complete recordings made in that glorious hall, and wonder if this Sony set is merely duplication, or is there some new material that was not included in the original box?

I surely would give my eye teeth for a recording of Horowitz playing Prokofiev VIII!

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:52 pm

There is some new material and recitals that are not in the other extraordinary box, all recorded at Carnegie Hall. The book, in size, is about 11" by 11" so it should fit on a shelf that will accommodate that height and depth. It should also be said that, if Horowitz was still amongst us, he probably would not have allowed the release of all this material. But it really doesn't matter - sour notes and memory slips - it's Horowitz and there was only one with his special musical qualities and characteristics. I HIGHLY recommend this set to piano aficionados.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

barney

Post by barney » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:33 pm

Ooops. I see that the number of CDs is in huge red letters at the top of the post. :oops:
I would like to hear Horowitz through the ears of his admirers: what in particular set him apart, such that there is only one Horowitz? I haven't listened to enough in the past decade - maybe any! - though I can easily rectify that.

John F

Post by John F » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:33 am

If you aren't familiar with Horowitz's special qualities, one of the best starting points is this live performance of his signature concerto, Rachmaninoff's 3rd, with the New York Philharmonic conducted by Artur Rodzinski in 1943.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqNvYmCRUVU

Besides the stunning virtuosity, verging on the impossible, there's a freedom in the playing that serves the music's expressive character. Rachmaninoff, who had just died, thought Horowitz's playing of this concerto the best, perhaps even better than his own.
John Francis

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:54 am

barney wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:33 pm
I haven't listened to enough in the past decade - maybe any! - though I can easily rectify that.
Another suggestion, the " Private Collection Vol.2 " , https://tinyurl.com/y6eyrk7q , usual fabled technique and sonority, but also ease, wit, coloration, tenderness,improvistory feeling not always present in his playing, repertoire on the cd not oft heard I believe after his return.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:45 am

Horowitz in his later years became a miniaturist, preferring to concentrate on shorter pieces with depth and colors that no other pianist could muster then or now. One of the best examples of this, IMHO, is his emotional return to Russia (Moscow) in 1987 just before the demise of the communist system. Every piece that Horowitz plays, from Schumann to Moskowski, is imbued with his special knack for color and nuance, in spite of his age. Horowitz looks thrilled to be back in his homeland and, in spite of the rigors of travel and selecting his own piano, Horowitz plays up a storm. A caveat: the DVD pictured below is available in different regional codes, so be careful you buy one that's compatible with your system:

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:42 am

Lance wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:52 pm
There is some new material and recitals that are not in the other extraordinary box, all recorded at Carnegie Hall. The book, in size, is about 11" by 11" so it should fit on a shelf that will accommodate that height and depth. It should also be said that, if Horowitz was still amongst us, he probably would not have allowed the release of all this material. But it really doesn't matter - sour notes and memory slips - it's Horowitz and there was only one with his special musical qualities and characteristics. I HIGHLY recommend this set to piano aficionados.
This is definitely a collectors' item, no doubt! The Carnegie Hall box set I mentioned before is now available for $799; I paid roughly $100. I still have room for this on my shelves. Thanks Lance for alerting us to this very interesting issue!

barney

Post by barney » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:56 pm

Thanks for posting those links, and I will listen. I have about 10 Horowitz CDs, including the Moscow concert, his last recital in Chicago and his last concert in Hamburg (from memory). In particular, what I will return to is his volumes in the Philips 200-CD Great Pianists series which include fabled performances of the Liszt sonata and other works cited on Wikipedia.
I have two versions of Horowitz in Rachmaninov 3, one with Reiner and the RCA Victor Orchestra, and the other with Ormandy and the NY Phil. Do you know those, John?

John F

Post by John F » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:27 pm

Yes, and also the performance of the concerto with Zubin Mehta and the NY Phil, as well as his 1920s EMI recording with Coates on 78s. The mono recording with Reiner is the one everybody has, and it's certainly formidable, but the performance with Rodzinski puts it and all others in the shade. How lucky that it was broadcast.
John Francis

barney

Post by barney » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:45 am

Finally got to listen to the Rachmaninov you posted above, John. You are right - quite astounding pianism. Incomparable.