13 strange deaths of composers ...

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

13 strange deaths of composers ...

Post by Lance » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:09 pm

This link comes courtesy of Australia's LIMELIGHT.

https://www.limelightmagazine.com.au/fe ... cal-music/
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

John F

Re: 13 strange deaths of composers ...

Post by John F » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:26 am

There was nothing strange about Mozart's death. What was strange were the rumors and fictions that followed, up to "Amadeus" and probably after. Since 18th century medicine was in a primitive state, his doctors' diagnosis of "miliary fever" is discounted; the latest posthumous diagnosis is streptococcal infection, of which there was a minor epidemic in Vienna at the time.

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/18/health/18mozart.html
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:37 am

Lance wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:09 pm

Lance thanks for this-enjoyed it alot! Regards, Len :D

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:03 am

Lance wrote:

Fascinating, Lance, if rather morbid. I didn't know about the bicycle accident: what a terrible way to go (also Lully with his foot injury lingering for 3 months)! I knew the story about being shot by an American soldier: what a tragedy! Modern medicine thankfully makes most of these scenarios unlikely, thankfully. Here's hoping that our own endings will be more peaceful and pain-free.

Modernistfan

Post by Modernistfan » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:31 pm

A couple of names to add:
Alessandro Stradella was stabbed by a hitman almost certainly hired by a member of the nobility with whose wife Stradella had been messing around.
Marc Blitzstein was beaten to death by three sailors in Martinique in an apparent gay-bashing incident.

barney

Post by barney » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:23 am

Sordid and sad. A bit like much of life really.

Heck148

Post by Heck148 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:19 am

Lance wrote:
2 other odd deaths of composers -

Wallingford Riegger - (April 29, 1885 – April 2, 1961) - died when he became entangled in the leashes of two fighting dogs...fell, suffered a head injury which proved fatal.

Alberic Magnard - (9 June 1865 – 3 September 1914) - died defending his home from German invaders early in WWI...German soldiers entered his property, Magnard shot at the m, killed at least one...Germans fired back and burned his house down.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:18 pm

Some others ...

César Franck: Was riding in a cab when it was struck by a horse-drawn carriage.

Edward MacDowell: He was run over by a cab in 1904 dying of complications a few years later.

George Butterworth (aged 31), was shot down by a sniper during World War I.

Alexander Borodin: Died while vigorously dancing at a ball. (A dear friend of mind died on the floor while doing polkas - heart just gave out!)
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:42 pm

Per Wiki re Liszt:

"Liszt died in Bayreuth, Germany, on 31 July 1886, at the age of 74, officially as a result of pneumonia, which he may have contracted during the Bayreuth Festival hosted by his daughter Cosima. Questions have been posed as to whether medical malpractice played a part in his death.He was buried on 3 August 1886, in the municipal cemetery of Bayreuth against his wishes."

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:55 pm

From UK's Gramophone :

Famous for his his Prince of Denmark's March (aka the Trumpet Voluntary), Jeremiah Clarke fell for a high-born lady who couldn't (or wouldn't) return his affection. He decided to end it all in 1707 and tossed a coin: heads, he would hang himself; tails, he would drown himself. The coin, however, landed on its edge in the mud. So he shot himself.

A man of curious vices, František Kocžwara took a prostitute called Susannah Hill while in London in 1791. After she refused to cut off his testicles, he tied a ligature around a a doorknob and fastened it around his neck, and proceeded to enjoy Ms Hill's pleasures. He died during intercourse - the first recorded case of auto-erotic asphyxiation. Hill was tried for his murder but acquitted.

Then there was Schubert.

John F

Post by John F » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:51 am

Nothing particularly strange about Schubert's death either. He fell sick and died, possibly of syphilis, possibly not. It isn't clear what he died of, but I've read nothing to suggest that the cause of death was particularly exotic or strange.
John Francis

barney

Post by barney » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:22 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:55 pm
From UK's Gramophone :

Famous for his his Prince of Denmark's March (aka the Trumpet Voluntary), Jeremiah Clarke fell for a high-born lady who couldn't (or wouldn't) return his affection. He decided to end it all in 1707 and tossed a coin: heads, he would hang himself; tails, he would drown himself. The coin, however, landed on its edge in the mud. So he shot himself.

A man of curious vices, František Kocžwara took a prostitute called Susannah Hill while in London in 1791. After she refused to cut off his testicles, he tied a ligature around a a doorknob and fastened it around his neck, and proceeded to enjoy Ms Hill's pleasures. He died during intercourse - the first recorded case of auto-erotic asphyxiation. Hill was tried for his murder but acquitted.

Then there was Schubert.
Death isn't funny, but these two almost make it seem so. Funny peculiar, not funny haha, anyway.

Belle

Post by Belle » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:34 pm

At our music group there's a man there whom I find annoying. He spent 37 years in English musical theatre and thinks he knows all about classical music. Last week he announced that Schubert had died from mercury poisoning because of syphilis. I'm sure Schubert died from "tertiary syphilis; that is to say he died from COMPLICATIONS of syphilis, probably typhus. In any event, it was horrific and a very bad day for European civilization and the world!!

At 31 years of age a person isn't old enough to die from 'mercury poisoning' - that takes a longer time to kill somebody. Otherwise, it would not have been the standard treatment for STDs. If the mercury was going to kill somebody in their late 20s/early 30s then it's a safe bet to say it would have been shelved as a 'treatment'.

And blood poisoning is still a major health problem, since antibiotics have lost much of their efficacy. Close friends of mine have a grandson (9) who was swimming in a river in Victoria in March this year when he cut his knee on a rock in the water. Within 36 hours he was airlifted by helicopter to a major children's hospital in Melbourne with 'blood poisoning'. Five months later he was discharged from hospital having come close to death during that time. Right now he is facing amputation of one leg because the infection weakened his bone above the knee and it just will NOT repair!!

barney

Post by barney » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:33 am

Sue, you must find all of us annoying. We ALL know all there is to know about classical music, even when we're entirely wrong. :lol:
That's a terrible story about your friend's boy, though. So sad, and so terrifying for him and his family.

Belle

Post by Belle » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:13 am

barney wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:33 am
Sue, you must find all of us annoying. We ALL know all there is to know about classical music, even when we're entirely wrong. :lol:
That's a terrible story about your friend's boy, though. So sad, and so terrifying for him and his family.
No, THIS is annoying - constant malapropisms and wrong details from the man in question. Two weeks ago we had a wonderful program devoted entirely to "Winterreise" and the presenter looked at the piano writing for these lieder. That's when this man piped up about Schubert and the mercury. The attendees looked at my grimace as he was saying this and everybody dissolved into laughter!!

In a program the week before about Lang Lang (yes, it was boring but the folks liked it) this same man was responsible for the pieces being played and being put on power point. The last work was listed as Beethoven Piano Concerto #1 (final movement) and, lo and behold, up pops Chopin E Minor Piano Concerto - 1st movement. The listing remained unchanged. At the end I said, "very nice; except that was Beethoven and not Chopin". He INSISTED I was wrong because of the U-Tube title ('they often get this wrong', I told him!). He wanted to fight about it until I said, "I'll hum it for you if you like"!! Laughter. He STILL wasn't convinced until a dear friend turned to him and said, "Sue's right; that was Chopin"!!

barney

Post by barney » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:17 pm

Oh dear! I've learned over the years not to invest too much in certainty - at least in theory - because I just may be wrong. (I speak only of music, of course! :D)

Belle

Post by Belle » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:58 am

barney wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:17 pm
Oh dear! I've learned over the years not to invest too much in certainty - at least in theory - because I just may be wrong. (I speak only of music, of course! :D)
Oh yes, "at least in theory"! :lol: Speaking of which I see I got things the other way around in my posting; "it was Chopin and NOT Beethoven". See; my husband is away and I've been let off the leash. (Karma, some might say.)