Joseph Jongen's Symphonie Concertante live

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Joseph Jongen's Symphonie Concertante live

Post by Rach3 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:32 am

I enjoy Joseph Jongen's solo piano works, but had not heard any of his larger scale works. His Symphonie Concertante, Op.81, for Organ and Orchestra a beauty, symphonic tone poem. I did a back to back hearing , here Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra in Leipzig under Louis Langree,Michael Schoenheit,organist, Sept.9,2019 :

https://www.nporadio4.nl/concerten/9242 ... oncertante

maestrob

Re: Joseph Jongen's Symphonie Concertante live

Post by maestrob » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:56 am

Have this and recommend it highly! :)

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:08 am

Rach3 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:32 am
I enjoy Joseph Jongen's solo piano works, but had not heard any of his larger scale works. His Symphonie Concertante, Op.81, for Organ and Orchestra a beauty, symphonic tone poem. I did a back to back hearing , here Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra in Leipzig under Louis Langree,Michael Schoenheit,organist, Sept.9,2019 :

https://www.nporadio4.nl/concerten/9242 ... oncertante
Louis Langree is IMHO an excellent conductor. He leads the Mostly Mozart Festival here in NYC, and has made many top-drawer recordings of French music, including a moving Nuits d'ete with Veronique Gens. Anything I've bought by him has been very satisfying. He fully deserves to work with great orchestras, and I'm delighted to see/hear him with the Leipzig forces.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:42 am

THIS is, simply put, a stunning work. I have long enjoyed the Virgil Fox EMI recording [65075] with Pretre conduting. This also appeared in a box collection of Pretre on Erato [59535]. Michael Murray's on Telarc [80096] is a superb recording as well with the San Francisco forces under deWaart. Koch also issued the work with a lesser-known organist, but very fine.

Jongen's piano music was well recorded by Diane Andersen on two Pavane issues [7475 and 7477]. She's an outstanding pianist that deserves to be better known on our shores. Included are the four-hand piano works with Andre de Groot.

We really don't hear too much about Jongen, unfortunately.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]