Lang Lang plays LvB PC # 2 live

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Lang Lang plays LvB PC # 2 live

Post by Rach3 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:02 am

Lang Lang plays LvB PC # 2 with RCO under Paavo Jarvi ,at Concertgebouw Nov.8,2019:

https://www.nporadio4.nl/concerten/9326 ... -beethoven

Apparently still recovering (? ). For me, the highlight of the work is the slow mov. I thought LL acquitted himself well throughout.

maestrob

Re: Lang Lang plays LvB PC # 2 live

Post by maestrob » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:27 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:02 am
Lang Lang plays LvB PC # 2 with RCO under Paavo Jarvi ,at Concertgebouw Nov.8,2019:

https://www.nporadio4.nl/concerten/9326 ... -beethoven

Apparently still recovering (? ). For me, the highlight of the work is the slow mov. I thought LL acquitted himself well throughout.
Agreed. Also enjoyed the Brahms & Wagner. Paavo Jarvi is a fine conductor, with a steady hand and a fine attention to tempo and detail. Thanks for posting this. :D

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:30 am

Interesting to me that Lang Lang would choose this particular Beethoven concerto to play with the great Concertgebouw Orchestra-Amsterdam. That seemed to be a piece that Martha Argerich liked to perform as well more frequently than any of the others. The demands of the pianism of No. 2 (which was really No. 1) are certainly not more prevalent. What say about this? (I love the concerto, nevertheless.)
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

John F

Post by John F » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:47 am

It's the 2nd concerto that William Kapell recorded for RCA Victor. I don't know that he played any of the others.
John Francis

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:32 pm

Interestingly, the LvB PC # 2 was one of the concertos Andre Watts played at his 25th Anniversary gala in NYC , with Mehta and the NYPO if I recall, the others being Liszt # 1 to open, and Rach # 2 after intermission.

Belle

Post by Belle » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:42 pm

A friend this week asked me what I thought of Lang Lang. I had to tread carefully because he has a recording on DVD of LL appearing in concert. In the interests of providing a 'closed' answer I said that "he's grown into the job and matured quite a lot". He went on to comment about the gesticulations of Lang Lang and the body language when he's playing and (again, closed response), "I'll email you a performance of Horowitz playing the Rach #3 with minimal body language"!

My friend claims that Rachmaninov was the greatest pianist of the 20th century. I had nothing to say because I couldn't think of anything; except it really wasn't a true indicator, was it, since he died in 1943!! He may have qualified for the 19th century!! :mrgreen:

Unlike the people who write here, when our friends seek our opinions on various musical matters they already have emotion invested in the answer, so discretion is the key (if not honesty)!

John F

Post by John F » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:30 pm

Some may find a performer's body language annoying but really it's of no consequence. What counts is the sound that comes out of the instrument or the orchestra. Seems to me that your comments on Lang Lang's playing are on the mark. So what if Horowitz sat still when playing? Artur Rubinstein didn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUoXKYT_rC8

As for who was the greatest pianist of the 20th century, if we're talking about virtuoso technique then certainly Horowitz is a prime candidate though not the only one. But for some of us, there's more to great music-making than technical brilliance. I have no opinion as to who was the century's greatest pianist, since none of them excelled in everything and some - Horowitz among them - didn't play a repertoire diverse enough to rank ahead of all others.

I do have my personal list of the greatest piano recordings of all time, and near the top is Beethoven's Appassionata Sonata played by Sviatoslav Richter in a 1960 Moscow concert. For passion and sheer daring I've never heard the like; Horowitz's recording, similar in concept, sounds rather cautious in comparison. If your friend doesn't know this one, he certainly should.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS1fyFFCRRw
John Francis

Belle

Post by Belle » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:45 pm

I remember seeing master classes on U-Tube with Andras Schiff in the UK and USA where he chided the pianists for rocking around while they were playing!! I do find it distracting but, of course, on CDs you can't see it anyway!! 8)

Good answers about the 'greatest' pianist of 20th century - 'it all depends....'. But I don't think it was Rachmaninov, as my friend claims.

The Rubinstein link you posted showed a comparatively still pianist; not at all using the gyrations and gesticulations, upward and heaven-ward mien that many seem to adopt and which is annoying (to me). But, by god, that was a power-pack of a performance of the Chopin.

Judging by Liszt iconography he seems to have used his whole body for effect - as the showman he was.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:59 pm

Belle wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:45 pm
Judging by Liszt iconography he seems to have used his whole body for effect - as the showman he was.
As attested by several Countesses , as well.