At the Boston Symphony, Andris Nelsons Still Seeks an Identity

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:07 am

There are many audio clips if you can get to the site. Regards, Len

Now in his sixth season with the orchestra, an acclaimed conductor struggles to define his mission.

By David Allen

Nov. 15, 2019

BOSTON — What is the mission of the Boston Symphony, the most generously endowed orchestra in America?

We are six seasons into Andris Nelsons’s tenure as music director of this storied ensemble, which appears at Carnegie Hall on Monday, but the answer to that question is still unclear.

When he arrived in September 2014, Mr. Nelsons, then just 35, was a young, safe, healthy pair of hands after the drama of James Levine, who had stepped down in 2011 after years of illness and cancellations.

Mr. Nelsons has led plenty of good performances — some very good — and has produced a number of fine recordings, including an ongoing Shostakovich survey that has rightly won him three Grammy Awards. Though his tenure has not been without controversy — including some frictions generated by an overhaul of the Tanglewood Festival Chorus and persistent issues surrounding the orchestra’s commitment to gender parity — two years ago I wrote that “there is probably no current music director in the country I would rather hear conduct on a weekly basis than Mr. Nelsons.”

Now I am not so sure. As orchestras from Los Angeles to New York stride forward into the 21st century, and ensembles in Cleveland and Pittsburgh set new standards in the music of centuries gone by, Mr. Nelsons’s Boston Symphony seems content simply to abide. Supporting new music without really championing it, and advocating the canon without really innovating within it, his orchestra is lately taking so few programmatic and interpretive risks that it sounds a bit lost.

Part of the problem is that Mr. Nelsons is still trying to pin down his own musical identity. His style is not demonstrative, nor overtly shaped — the aim seeming to be to make things appear as uninterpreted as possible.

Sometimes that works, as in a memorable pairing of Beethoven’s Fourth and Fifth symphonies a year ago; in the Strauss that peppers programs; and, above all, in opera, in which he seems most comfortable. Even there, showing no interest in aping the innovative operatic stagings put on by the Cleveland Orchestra or the New York Philharmonic, he has stuck to concert performances, none of which — not even his formidable if noncommittal accounts of Wagner — have come close to a sensational “Elektra” at Carnegie Hall four years ago.

Mr. Nelsons’s reluctance to take a point of view, and his reliance instead on the undoubtable competence of his players, has become wearing. An old-school “Christmas Oratorio” of Bach last November could have made a statement, but turned out to have nothing to say. His Mahler has become particularly frustrating, as in a wary “Resurrection” Symphony last October, an unsteady Third in January 2018, and the “most by-the-book reading possible” of the Fifth, as my colleague Joshua Barone put it, last November.

The result is that I often come out of a Nelsons concert thinking that it was admirable, but rarely feeling shaken or stirred.

What is especially odd is that there is no doubt this conductor can live up to his glowing reputation in the standard repertoire. Boston proved it by inviting Mr. Nelsons’s other orchestra to perform at Symphony Hall.

Since 2017, Mr. Nelsons has split his time between Boston and Leipzig, Germany, where he serves as chief conductor of the Gewandhaus Orchestra. Early concerns that the arrangement would detract from his commitment to Massachusetts have proven unfounded, and the two orchestras have made the most of their modest maestro by plotting a partnership that has led to special programs in both cities, co-commissions, musician exchanges and educational offerings.

The alliance started slowly, but it picked up at the end of October, when the Gewandhaus arrived for two concerts of 19th-century repertoire, plus three joint appearances with the Boston players. If the merged appearances were of dubious musical value, the Gewandhaus’s own concerts were more revealing.

With Mr. Nelsons at the helm of an ensemble offering more Old World heft, any doubts were blown away. Possessing an antique sound colored darkest walnut, and throwing their whole bodies into communicating with one another and with the audience, the Leipzig players enthralled with their innate sense of phrasing, their variety and unity of attack, their use of every inch of hair on their bows, their ability to invest each bar with dramatic meaning.

The conductor’s avowedly anti-didactic, deliberately neutral style came sensationally alive. And I found myself asking where that spirit has been in Boston of late.

The orchestra continues to click with many of the guest conductors who take up the podium when Mr. Nelsons is away. Excelling like past guests such as François-Xavier Roth, Gustavo Dudamel and Sakari Oramo, Susanna Malkki has found remarkable depth this season in Debussy’s “La Mer” and other French music, and Dima Slobodeniouk has brought vigor to Sibelius and Nielsen. Their programs also had the benefit of being more carefully put together than Mr. Nelsons’s, which have become puzzlingly incohesive.

And the composer and conductor Thomas Adès’s quirky tenure as the orchestra’s “artistic partner” is a reminder that if Mr. Nelsons has stalled in the old, he is also a less than thrilling spokesman for the new. By the end of this season, he will have given 17 world or American premieres at Symphony Hall, all of a more or less conventional kind, as can be heard on a Naxos disc of commissions released this month. His work in this area has been more promising than many expected but still, you sense, dutiful.

Only two of those premieres have been by women — though guest conductors are doing more this season, and there will be new pieces by Sofia Gubaidulina and Julia Adolphe next season. But that problem is worsened further by Mr. Nelsons’s incuriosity about expanding our sense of the past, Shostakovich’s clunkers notwithstanding. He has learned his Copland and his Bernstein, but if even Riccardo Muti and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra feel moved to perform Florence Price these days, what have Mr. Nelsons and the Boston Symphony got to lose by doing right by their city’s own, overlooked Amy Beach?

Money, apparently. When local musicians met with Symphony Hall authorities in December 2017 to ask them to diversify their programming, The Boston Globe reported that one of the responses they received, beyond a plea for time, was that market research suggested that changes could not be made “without alienating significant portions of our audience and affecting the BSO’s well-being.”

Given that the orchestra sits on net assets of well over half a billion dollars and just raised $70 million to open the lovely new Linde Center for Music and Learning at Tanglewood, such timidity ought to worry anyone who cares about what was once among the most progressive orchestras in the world.

The question isn’t whether the Boston Symphony can afford to recover its pioneering spirit, but whether, with resources other orchestras can only dream of, it can afford not to.

Mr. Nelsons, who will probably sign a contract extension beyond 2022, will have to decide what he wants. Will he be the Koussevitzky of today, and take his place among the greatest and most visionary of the Boston Symphony’s directors, or will he merely preside over complacency?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/15/arts ... lsons.html

Belle

Re: At the Boston Symphony, Andris Nelsons Still Seeks an Identity

Post by Belle » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:41 pm

Nelsons is conducting the Wiener Philharmoniker Neujahrskonzert, January 1.

John F

Post by John F » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:26 am

In effect, Allen is bored by Nelsons's conducting and the BSO's playing. Since I haven't heard either recently I have no opinion, but I don't believe this is the consensus in Boston. My friends up there don't agree.
John Francis

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:00 pm

The only Nelsons/Boston music-making I've heard so far has been a live telecast with Opalais and Kaufman during which Opalais tried to sing the Liebestod and missed the mark, although the rest of the program was fine. I've heard the Shostakovich releases on DGG, and found them to be a mixed bag, some very good, and others (V & VII) quite disappointing. IMHO, Nelsons is young and still experimenting with his orchestra, and he lacks the solidity and passion of Bernstein in this repertoire. I was also disappointed in his Brahms symphonies on DGG, which sounded just OK, but with moments of weakness.

In short, the article agrees with my limited experience of this conductor.

barney

Post by barney » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:26 pm

I've admired the Shostakovich cycle so far. I don't have all the CDs though.

Modernistfan

Post by Modernistfan » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:43 pm

The Boston Symphony audience was always notoriously conservative. Around 1900, when Symphony Hall was being built, one local critic suggested that the signs over the emergency exits should read" "Exit in case of Brahms." (Brahms!!!--not Bruckner, Mahler, or Richard Strauss)

If you want the kind of exciting new music that Mr. Allen seems to want, just go across town to Gil Rose's Boston Modern Orchestra Project. I have bought nearly all of their recordings.

Regarding the BSO's Shostakovich, I have not really heard the recordings, but some reviews suggest that they are extremely well played but too smooth and genteel for Shostakovich.

John F

Post by John F » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:47 am

Modernistfan wrote:The Boston Symphony audience was always notoriously conservative. Around 1900, when Symphony Hall was being built, one local critic suggested that the signs over the emergency exits should read" "Exit in case of Brahms."
The BSO's audience may have been that conservative a century ago, but under the music directorship of Serge Koussevitzky from 1924 to 1949 they performed countless world and American premieres, many of them BSO commissions and notably including Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra, while particularly encouraging American composers. Charles Munch may be less well known as a conductor of new music but the Wikipedia article says he conducted 39 world premieres and 58 American premieres during his 13 seasons in Boston; when I was in college these included Martinu's Symphony No. 6. The BSO audience must at least have tolerated this as it was always hard to get a ticket to their concerts.
John Francis

barney

Post by barney » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:35 pm

Bostonians have always been confident about their abilities. In the late 19th century a Bostonian told William Gladstone that Shakespeare was "a great man. Why I doubt if there are six his equal in the whole of Boston!"

Belle

Post by Belle » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:32 pm

barney wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:35 pm
Bostonians have always been confident about their abilities. In the late 19th century a Bostonian told William Gladstone that Shakespeare was "a great man. Why I doubt if there are six his equal in the whole of Boston!"
The New Englanders/New Yorkers copied the English and their aristocratic ways for a long time after the Revolution. Edith Wharton (as just one example) documented this in her excellent novel, "The Age of Innocence"!!