What happened to the Bryn Terfel post?

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

What happened to the Bryn Terfel post?

Post by Lance » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:28 am

I went to respond to Sue's post regarding the cruise ship that Terfel was on, and it disappeared! Something strange happened. Can you repost that for us/me, Sue, please?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Belle

Re: What happened to the Bryn Terfel post?

Post by Belle » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:37 am

Yes, I took it down because I was worried research on BT (from my neighbour) would turn up my comments on Google. Everything turns up there.

Perhaps you can answer the question. Why is he resorting to cruise ship gigs? He is/was due to sing a combination of Wagner and Richard Rodgers at the SOH. What?? Am I missing something? Anyway, the report from the neighbour was that 'he couldn't sing; he wasn't any good'!! :lol:

John F

Post by John F » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:03 am

Bryn Terfel has always been ready and willing to do that kind of thing if the money etc. were good enough. In the past he's done so much of it that he failed to learn major operatic roles he had contracted to sing. He was to have made a role debut as Wozzeck at the Salzburg Festival back in the 1980s but canceled it as his other gigs didn't leave enough time for him to learn it; not much later, he was to have sung Hans Sachs for the first time in "Die Meistersinger" in a new production to open Opera Australia's season but canceled so late that as I remember, they had to change the opera. In 2007 he canceled appearances as the three Wotans in Covent Garden's Ring cycle four weeks before opening night, including another role debut as the Wanderer. He has also often canceled for what he said were family reasons, but sometimes appeared instead in one of these popular concerts. Terfel appears to have gotten his act together by now and cancels no more often than any other singer, but for a while there was a good deal of tension whether he would show up.

This article appeared after the Covent Garden cancellation:
Bryn Terfel has actively been seeking mainstream stardom status as well as the accompanying fees. Upon achieving such status however, follows a higher degree of responsibility compared to an “ordinary” singer.

The ROH Ring is not just any opera production – it is probably the biggest single event of the past 5 years at the ROH, and with a set-up relying quite heavily on the presence of Bryn Terfel´s star quality. It´s understandable, of course, if Bryn Terfel wants to make changes in his future life-style, but the professional way to do this is to honour short-term commitments and then cancel or work something out with future engagements. It is deeply irresponsible towards the opera-going public not to mention the operatic management to cancel such a major appearance on such short notice. Even when deeper family problems than the much-quoted finger of his son may be at the core of this (which is none of our business, of course, despite mrs. Terfel chosing to divulge them to the Daily Mail).

Opera most certainly is not a matter of life and death, and certainly it shouldn´t take precedence over family – it is much simpler: It´s a job. Bryn Terfel signed a contract. In his business, contracts are signed years in advance. His privileged position in this business taken into consideration, you may reasonably expect him to plan his scheduled commitments allowing for smaller emergencies in the private sphere.

Again, all the above is only valid assuming he’s learned the part (Wanderer) and remembers the other two Wotans.

Looking somewhat dispassionately at this from the outside – I am personally quite unaffected by his non-Wotan-appearances, thinking him unsuitable in this repertoire anyway- the only explanation making sense to me is a combination of a lack of preparation with private problems. And this, in my opinion, is both deeply disrespectful and unprofessional behaviour.
John Francis

Belle

Post by Belle » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:23 pm

I didn't know any of that; thanks for the information. Well, I could never see myself going to hear Bryn Terfel singing a combination of Wagner and Rodgers and Hammerstein. Imagine my shock when my neighbour reported him on the cruise ship!! The ROH posting really nailed the problems.

John F

Post by John F » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:13 pm

Any number of classical singers have sung Broadway songs as encores, and sometimes as part of the man program. José van Dam sang "Some enchanted evening";Thomas Quasthoff, "I did it my way." And this is nothing new. Great singers of the past sang ballads etc. in their concerts, and Caruso sang George M. Cohan in 1918 in English and French.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqx9ugnenVk
John Francis

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:53 pm

Well, I had written quite a paragraph on my thoughts about Terfel but then it wouldn't "take." But John Francis's Covent Garden article probably says it all best. A look at my own Terfel discography shows many recordings of Welsh songs (which I love), oratorio, opera (solo, duets, etc., ) symphonic literature using a voice, and then there's a Rodgers & Hammerstein CD. So, he is in to "crossover" as well as many other "classical" singers. His is a broad repertoire. As for the ship cruise, maybe he only needed a vacation (I suppose the pay is good, too!) I think he has latched on to stardom to a great degree and thus broadens his name and voice among many more people. At 54 now, he has accomplished a lot thus far. The "cancelation" business, however, has to be taken far more seriously.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Belle

Post by Belle » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:25 pm

John F wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:13 pm
Any number of classical singers have sung Broadway songs as encores, and sometimes as part of the man program. José van Dam sang "Some enchanted evening";Thomas Quasthoff, "I did it my way." And this is nothing new. Great singers of the past sang ballads etc. in their concerts, and Caruso sang George M. Cohan in 1918 in English and French.

The question is would they sing them together on the same program alongside Wagner?

I have Terfel's Rodgers and Hammerstein CD and it's beautifully sung, but I wouldn't go to hear that and then expect the second half of the program dedicated to Wagner. :mrgreen:

barney

Post by barney » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:38 pm

Belle wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:25 pm
John F wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:13 pm

The question is would they sing them together on the same program alongside Wagner?

I have Terfel's Rodgers and Hammerstein CD and it's beautifully sung, but I wouldn't go to hear that and then expect the second half of the program dedicated to Wagner. :mrgreen:
Indeed not. Obviously it would have to be the other way round. :D

John F

Post by John F » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:57 pm

In the old days, singers like Galli-Curci and Caruso did indeed sing arias and popular songs in the same program, in whatever order they chose. The concert would often also include selections by "assisting artists" (solo violinists etc.) in between the star's numbers. It was the star performers rather than the repertoire that drew audiences to these concerts.
John Francis

Belle

Post by Belle » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:30 pm

Trust you to be a mine of contrary information!! :lol: