Boston Public Library Vinyl LP Collection

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

jserraglio

Boston Public Library Vinyl LP Collection

Post by jserraglio » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:07 pm

Unprocessed NEEDLEDROPS. Variable condition. Search engine too general to be really useful. Besides streaming, lossless downloads in FLAC allowed. Full scans of artwork and sleeve notes are one of this archive's most valuable features. Many items commercially available in one form or another, but there are also some rarities here.

https://archive.org/details/vinyl_bosto ... ads&page=1
The Boston Public Library (BPL) sound collection includes hundreds of thousands of audio recordings in a variety of historical formats, including wax cylinders, 78 rpms, and LPs. The recordings span many genres, including classical, pop, rock, jazz, and opera – from 78s produced in the early 1900s to LPs from the 1980s. These recordings have never been circulated and were in storage for several decades, uncatalogued and inaccessible to the public. By collaborating with the Internet Archive, Boston Public Libraries audio collection can be heard by new audiences of scholars, researchers and music lovers worldwide.
https://blog.archive.org/2017/10/11/bos ... ic-access/

John F

Re: Boston Public Library Vinyl LP Collection

Post by John F » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:51 am

These recordings have never been circulated and were in storage for several decades, uncatalogued and inaccessible to the public.
How and why did the library acquire hundreds of thousands of recordings it evidently did not intend to use? There must be a story here.

From the library's web site, it will be up to an organization called Internet Archive to receive, catalogue, and digitie the recordings and then make them available. The Boston library will merely dump its holdings on the Internet Archive, whose scanning and digitizing facilities are in the Philippines, and wash their hands of it all. Besides digitizing the audio, the Internet Archive will have to cagalogue it all, an essential and formidable task that I suspect will be done only superficially by copying information from the record labels and jackets. I just hope they don't botch it; without a proper catalogue these recordings will be as useless as they have been while stored at the library.

I had never heard of Internet Archive but after reading the Wikipedia Article I see that it is an immense and incredibly ambitious project cnsisting mainly of Internet archives and printed matter but also of some 200,000 audio recordings, which the Boston donation will more than double. There are even larger audio archives than Boston's, at the Library of Congress and the New York Public Library, but these process and house their collections as the Boston library has not.

Now that I know about Internet Archive I clearly need to learn how to use it, not so much for recordings as for books and such. Any CMG members who know about this, what do you think?
John Francis

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:52 am

I have used Internet Archive for years. It is of variable quality since anybody can upload material to it (I have done so myself), but I have found scans of books and libretti and prints of silent films there I couldn't otherwise easily obtain. There are also many decent rips of classical shellacs, in particular those by Ohio Light Opera baritone Frederick Reeder who goes by the handle freeder on IA.

For anyone willing to explore rock music, I would recommend the massive donation by the Grateful Dead of tapes of most, if not all, of their live concerts.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:24 am

Internet Archive Help Center https://help.archive.org/hc/en-us

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:03 pm

https://archive.org/details/georgeblood
a Symphonyshare member wrote:Note that the ... digitizing of 78s (156,000 sides, done at 24-bit) done for the Internet Archive by George Blood's company in Philadelphia, offers multiple transfers of each disc using styli of three to four different widths which alters the tracking of wear and signal-to-noise ratios on shellac discs.