Pianist Lucas Debargue's new Scarlatti sonatas cd set

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Pianist Lucas Debargue's new Scarlatti sonatas cd set

Post by Rach3 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:24 am

Just started listening now, 52 sonatas on SONY Classical, entire set free listening here :

https://www.nporadio4.nl/cds/lucas-deba ... 52-sonatas

Interesting in that I think (?) some of the more frequently heard are not here.

Rach3

Re: Pianist Lucas Debargue's new Scarlatti sonatas cd set

Post by Rach3 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:44 am

From Amazon-US :

Germanys Der Spiegel waxed ecstatic: " Debargues Scarlatti recalls his mighty predecessors. He displays the subtle touch and feeling once bestowed on these miniatures by Vladimir Horowitz and imparts new sound to Scarlattis keyboard music. Debargue touches the outer limits of expression between joylessness and rapture: one may find it overwrought, but its never less than gripping. And then theres the gentle Glenn Gould touch. "

Debargue is excited at his new project: " Scarlatti is inspiring. Hes the centre of my musical thought as regards music for keyboard instruments...I took it as a sort of personal mission to finally do something with him. Though Scarlatti generally lacks a firm place in the repertoire hes not heard very often and is almost never the mainstay of a recital hes one of those milestones that every pianist must turn to."

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:22 pm

Thanks for the heads-up, Rach3. I've always been fascinated by Scarlatti, and have fond memories of Horowitz and Maria Tipo in that repertoire. I'll be sure to listen to as much of this as possible.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:39 pm

I’ve heard first 14,enough for one sitting.Debargue seems to view these works as more extroverted,dramatic,larger scale than the more intimate view of many others,his view perhaps also guiding his selection which includes some of the longer ones ( I think). Been interesting so far. Will take me a couple days.It is a 4-cd set apparently.

Belle

Post by Belle » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:43 pm

I've loved this repertoire of Scarlatti since taking hesitant steps to play some of the sonatas on the piano more than 30 years ago (very unsuccessfully). There's a vigour and vitality about these works. I've never really been happy with Horowitz playing them though, as I think his is essentially a romantic sound world and I think these works are very much the products of another century and the harpsichord, where the sostenuto pedal hadn't been invented yet.

Great comments, Rach3!!! Extroverted versus introverted; I like that.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:45 pm

Vigor and vitality a good description as well. Debargue plays them as though were miniature early Beethoven piano sonatas.

Holden Fourth

Post by Holden Fourth » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:43 pm

Why do I get the impression that he is trying to imitate a harpsichord

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:23 pm

Holden Fourth wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:43 pm
Why do I get the impression that he is trying to imitate a harpsichord
Not sure , my impression was mostly the opposite,ie he was trying to “liberate” Scarlatti

Belle

Post by Belle » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:55 pm

It's excellent that they're all there on that site; now, if I could get them to keep playing continuously...

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:06 pm

Use the button “Speel...” at top,right, be patient.Loading between tracks does take a little time.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:29 am

Amazon has the Sony CD set for $24 with free shipping. It's now on my Christmas list. Thanks Rach3 for bringing this to our attention! :D