New Met Statue

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

New Met Statue

Post by lennygoran » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:24 pm

I was at the Met Box Office today and came upon this statue I don't remember seeing before at the front facade area. Len

lennygoran

Re: New Met Statue

Post by lennygoran » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:05 pm

Found out. Len

Metropolitan Opera Presents New George Condo Sculpture, Constellation of Voices

By Francisco Salazar

The Metropolitan Opera has unveiled a new sculpture by American artist George Condo: Constellation of Voices.

The new sculpture will be on view on the Met’s outdoor Terrace facing Lincoln Center Plaza.

The new work is part of the Met’s long-running visual arts initiative, Gallery Met and will be open to all guests at Lincoln Center Plaza.

Constellation of Voices is an abstract head, cast in aluminum and finished with gold leaf, presented on a custom plinth in faux limestone-surfaced aluminum. The sculpture was created in 2019 and measures 162 inches (13 feet, 6 inches) high by 82 inches (6 feet, 10 inches) wide by 73-1/2 inches (6 feet, 1-1/2 inches) deep and weighs approximately 1,400 pounds.

In a press statement Condo stated, Constellation of Voices “is the material form of sound … what it looks like and how it shines like gold when it is in perfect harmony…I wanted to reflect a mythological and abstract world from every culture composed of pre-classical civilizations, the chorus of Greek drama and the abstraction of modern day opera.”

barney

Post by barney » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:13 am

Good for him. Not so much to my taste.

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:13 am

it shines like gold when it is in perfect harmony
My impression is just the opposite: a confused jumble with gold leaf added in an unsuccessful attempt to prettify the mess. Not my taste either.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:55 am

Gotta admit I didn't need it out there but I sort of go for the shiney glitzy-you should have seen the Xmas Macys Windows yesterday! Len :lol:

John F

Post by John F » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:33 am

Ricordanza wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:13 am
My impression is just the opposite: a confused jumble with gold leaf added in an unsuccessful attempt to prettify the mess. Not my taste either.
Tacky. It's made of gilded aluminum.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:37 am

John F wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:33 am
Ricordanza wrote:
Tacky. It's made of gilded aluminum.
What's wrong with that! Len fleeing :lol:

https://www.google.com/search?q=gilded+ ... 62&bih=601

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:50 am

Nor my cup o' tea either!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

barney

Post by barney » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:25 pm

Mind you, the Macy windows aren't exactly to my taste either. :D We have a similar tradition, though probably not as grand, in Melbourne's oldest and biggest department store, interestingly also with four letters, two of which are M and Y - Myer. When my children were very young we would go in to the city and join the throngs admiring them.

John F

Post by John F » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:58 pm

Do you know of any major statue anywhere made of aluminum? Statues meant to last are made of stronger stuff, such as bronze.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:27 pm

barney wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:25 pm
Mind you, the Macy windows aren't exactly to my taste either. :D We have a similar tradition, though probably not as grand, in Melbourne's oldest and biggest department store, interestingly also with four letters, two of which are M and Y - Myer. When my children were very young we would go in to the city and join the throngs admiring them.
Barney Sue and I go every year for the Xmas Windows-we're heartbroken that the first innovator of these windows lord and taylor is no longer doing them. Len :(

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:56 pm

John F wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:58 pm
Do you know of any major statue anywhere made of aluminum? Statues meant to last are made of stronger stuff, such as bronze.
John I'll have to check when we get home-talk about material around lincoln center after dealing with the Met box office I needed a rest room and went into the library-this exhibit caught my eye! Regards, Len

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:00 pm

Another indication that we are, for sure, living in changing times. I just heard about another chain of stores closing down completely, A. C. Moore, a major store for hobbyists and craft people. We have one here that I visit from time-to-time, but shopping centers and major stores and major food chains seem to be pulling the plugs. Lord & Taylor set a precedent that was big time visitations in New York for many years. I have seen many of their displays. It appears some of A. C. Moore's stores will be taken over the largest craft chain, Miachael's who already operates some 1,200 stores in the USA and Canada.
https://www.newsday.com/business/ac-moo ... 1.38936326
lennygoran wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:27 pm
barney wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:25 pm
Barney Sue and I go every year for the Xmas Windows-we're heartbroken that the first innovator of these windows lord and taylor is no longer doing them. Len :(
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:02 am

Lance didn't know about this-Sue has used AC Moore for some of her art supplies-she's seen other art stores go into decline over the years as well. Regards, Len

barney

Post by barney » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:02 pm

My favourite chain (of 3 or 4 shops in Melbourne) for the ... ahem... larger gentleman is closing. I call them Fat Bastards; they call themselves High and Mighty. No one else has their stock. Unless I want cheap shirts from Kmart I will have to shop online from the US. I recently got a witty T-shirt online, guessing at my size, and found it about 17 sizes too big! It nearly hits the floor, and you could fit an Indian village inside.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:26 pm

barney wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:02 pm
My favourite chain (of 3 or 4 shops in Melbourne) for the ... ahem... larger gentleman is closing. I call them Fat Bastards; they call themselves High and Mighty. No one else has their stock. Unless I want cheap shirts from Kmart I will have to shop online from the US. I recently got a witty T-shirt online, guessing at my size, and found it about 17 sizes too big! It nearly hits the floor, and you could fit an Indian village inside.
Barney, American sizes are quite a bit larger than European of British, as you found out. I'm used to XL here, but must buy XXL when ordering from England. Caveat emptor! It must be due to the vast amounts of sugary drinks Americans are fond of quaffing. In Australia, you may consider yourself "large," but here you are quite average. :wink:

Belle

Post by Belle » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:40 pm

Ricordanza wrote:
It looks like a hastily-conceived and crumpled version of Gianni Versace's Medusa trademark icon.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Vers ... nkpRhF0F3M

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:10 am

Belle good find! Len

Belle

Post by Belle » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:13 am

lennygoran wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:10 am
Belle good find! Len
I have Versace by Rosenthal dinnerware and objects d'art myself - with the lovely Medusa head on it!!

barney

Post by barney » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:48 am

Belle wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:40 pm
Ricordanza wrote:
It looks like a hastily-conceived and crumpled version of Gianni Versace's Medusa trademark icon.

A Medusa crafted by a drunk with chronic arthritis in both hands.

barney

Post by barney » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:49 am

maestrob wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:26 pm
barney wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:02 pm
Barney, American sizes are quite a bit larger than European of British, as you found out. I'm used to XL here, but must buy XXL when ordering from England. Caveat emptor! It must be due to the vast amounts of sugary drinks Americans are fond of quaffing. In Australia, you may consider yourself "large," but here you are quite average. 😉
Quite average? That might be the nicest thing anyone has said to me in years. :lol:
Thank you, Brian.

Belle

Post by Belle » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:38 pm

barney wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:48 am
Belle wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:40 pm
Ricordanza wrote:

A Medusa crafted by a drunk with chronic arthritis in both hands.
Also along the same lines as this monument, which is actually 3D if you've been up close to it. Ah, don't you just love derivative work!!

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Stat ... mK5V6QMEAM