Our First Porgy and Bess

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Our First Porgy and Bess

Post by lennygoran » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:03 am

We started the day with a very nice exhibit at the Met Museum of Art called the Pursuit of Fashion and also 2 rather remarkable paintings in their Great Hall, then there was a lovely meal at what's one of our favorite upper westside chinese restaurants including delicious duck-then the opera-it was very effective-fine singing, wonderful acting, wonderful dancing, a very appropriate set-for us the kind of day we always hope for from nyc visits! The house was packed--never have I waited longer on a line to use the restroom during the intermission! Regards, Len

david johnson

Re: Our First Porgy and Bess

Post by david johnson » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:16 am

Wow, those are great paintings :)

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:35 am

david johnson wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:16 am
Wow, those are great paintings :)
Yeah alot to see in them-the size alone was incredible! Here's some more about them. Len

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:50 am

Porgy & Bess gets a mixed review from me. The arias and duets are great music for me, and some of the orchestral writing is quite effective. The in-between music I find mostly boring, but that's just my taste. It's a great work, no doubt, but I find it overly long, frankly. Just MHO.

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:17 pm

maestrob wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:50 am
Porgy & Bess gets a mixed review from me. The arias and duets are great music for me, and some of the orchestral writing is quite effective. The in-between music I find mostly boring, but that's just my taste. It's a great work, no doubt, but I find it overly long, frankly. Just MHO.
I mostly agree. I suspect most people only get the main melody and vocal line, while I listened to the orchestra throughout. After all, I attend far more symphony orchestra concerts than operas. The visuals on the Met simulcast were stunning as usual, so between that, the singing and the orchestra the experience was engrossing,for the most part.
I say for the most part, because Act II does drag. Act I was incredible, even though it times out very long. The problem is the long, tortuous decline of Bess in Act II. It's best to kill them off fast in a tragedy. Ask Will Shakespeare.