R.I.P., Barry Tuckwell .

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

THEHORN

R.I.P., Barry Tuckwell .

Post by THEHORN » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:00 pm

Sad news . The great Barry Tuckwell, one of the greatest horn players of all time, has passed away at 88 . His virtuosity on this treacherous instrument was almost superhuman . His ability to play the instrument's treacherous high register with pupate and accuracy and agility in rapid fire passages was the envy of horn players everywhere , not to mention the rich, colorful , burnished sound he produced .
Tuckwell made more solo recordings than any horn player in the history of recordings , with several sets of the Mozart horn concertos , those of Richard Strauss , Weber and lesser known composers of the baroque and classical periods , as well as 20th century works and so much else .
Tuckwell left his position as principal horn of the London symphony orchestra in 1968 to pursue a career as an international soloist with leading orchestras and conductors all over the world, plus recitals , master classes and was also active as a conductor .
A native of Melbourne, Australia, he first took up the horn at the age of 13 and showed such precocious ability on the instrument as to become a member of various orchestras there before he was out of his teens, eventually becoming principal horn with the LSO .
Tuckwell won numerous awards and honors , and retired some years ago .

david johnson

Re: R.I.P., Barry Tuckwell .

Post by david johnson » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:39 am

:( sad news. A superb hornist.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:21 am

Very sorry to hear this. Tuckwell's Decca recording of the Mozart concerti is often on my playlist: I will listen to him today. :(

barney

Post by barney » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:47 pm

Very sad. It was a peaceful death surrounded by family.
I was asked to write the obituary for his home town paper, which I viewed as a considerable privilege:
https://www.theage.com.au/culture/music ... 53sfb.html

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:39 am

Barney, a lovely tribute to a great artist. I once heard him give a lecture at Ithaca College in Ithaca, New York. Of course, I have many, many of his recordings and always collected his recordings with great interest. It seems impossible to me that he was 88. You will remember this friendship for a long time. Thank you for sharing the article. Well done.
barney wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:47 pm
Very sad. It was a peaceful death surrounded by family.
I was asked to write the obituary for his home town paper, which I viewed as a considerable privilege:
https://www.theage.com.au/culture/music ... 53sfb.html
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:51 am

Yes, Barney, well done indeed. Tuckwell was a great musician, and left us with many fine recordings. He will be missed, surely. Thanks for sharing your fine article.

barney

Post by barney » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:29 pm

Thanks for your kind words. I saw him for the last time a couple of weeks ago, and while I was there the ambulance came to take him to palliative care from which he did not emerge. But he was sharp and funny as always, and delighted to talk about music. He was really a trailblazer as a horn soloist, and now I believe there are quite a few professional soloists. RIP, Barry.

barney

Post by barney » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:31 pm

There were several fine obituaries: Daily Telegraph of London, Washington Post, and Gramophone. The Post especially gave him a lot of space.
The Gramophone amusingly had his honour Companion of the Order of Australia conferred by the Austrian Government. As his nephew wryly observed, Barry was probably unaware of his Viennese link.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:07 am

barney wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:31 pm
There were several fine obituaries: Daily Telegraph of London, Washington Post, and Gramophone. The Post especially gave him a lot of space.
The Gramophone amusingly had his honour Companion of the Order of Australia conferred by the Austrian Government. As his nephew wryly observed, Barry was probably unaware of his Viennese link.
:lol:

barney

Post by barney » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:31 pm

Barry Tuckwell's funeral service was in Melbourne yesterday, and I had the great honour to lead it. I mention this because a friend in New Zealand noticed that it was streamed online, and watched it. It goes for two hours, but the three speakers were very good, the reminiscences from those gathered (half a dozen or so) crisp, direct and amusing. As for the music! He left the church to nine horns playing an arrangement (done for the service) of his favourite symphony, Bruckner 8. If you want to dip into it - I doubt any of you will have the time to watch it all - you can see it here:
https://www.belindajanevideo.com/client ... -tuckwell/

Also, the Sydney Morning Herald asked me for an expanded obituary, more than double the length. It has some good anecdotes not in the first version above. It's very rare for a paper to run a similar piece twice, and I applaud the SMH for deciding the first (in the arts page, rather than the obituary page) did not suffice.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/musicia ... 53vqt.html

barney

Post by barney » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:35 pm

PS: It was 39 (102) in Melbourne yesterday. A suit and tie would not have been my favoured option...
:D

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:21 pm

What a moving tribute to a Great Musician. Thanks, Barney, for sharing. Teresa and I offer our deepest condolences.

I'll now have to get that album with George Shearing, another favorite artist. 8)

barney

Post by barney » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:35 pm

Thanks for watching, Brian. I wasn't sure if I was being presumptuous, but you've made it worthwhile. After the service, a Sydney Symphony horn player told me, which I hadn't really noticed, that Barry's phrasing was almost supernaturally long in that Cole Porter piece, that few could hold a breath like him.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:39 am

Barney, have haven't changed at all since the last time I saw you in New York! I viewed about one our of this stream and hope to catch the balance of it soon. This is quite an honour for you and what I saw/read was up to your usual high standards! Thank you.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

barney

Post by barney » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:12 am

Thanks, Lance, you are too kind.
It certainly was an honour; that's definitely how I felt.
If you haven't got there yet, the highlights are Lin Jiang playing a transcription of a Bach cello prelude live (he flew from Hong Kong), the anecdotes from people who came, and the coffin leaving to an arrangement for 8 horns of some of the slow movement from Bruckner 8.