Los Angeles Times Ignores Classical Grammys

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Modernistfan

Los Angeles Times Ignores Classical Grammys

Post by Modernistfan » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:22 pm

Just to show how the commercial, lowest-common-denominator entertainment industry overshadows everything else in Los Angeles, the Los Angeles Times today did not even mention the classical Grammy awards last night, even though the Los Angeles Philharmonic, conducted by Gustavo Dudamel, won the Grammy for "Best Orchestral Performance" for Andrew Norman's "Sustain" (released only on digital, I believe). There was no mention of any classical winners, not even a bare listing, while pages and pages were devoted to commercialized pop junk, including pictures of women attending the ceremony (as usual).
For shame!

Ricordanza

Re: Los Angeles Times Ignores Classical Grammys

Post by Ricordanza » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:51 am

Modernistfan wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:22 pm
the Los Angeles Times today did not even mention the classical Grammy awards last night, even though the Los Angeles Philharmonic, conducted by Gustavo Dudamel, won the Grammy for "Best Orchestral Performance"
Astonishing and, as you said, shameful.

Modernistfan

Post by Modernistfan » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:24 pm

Los Angeles has changed drastically over the last 50 years or so. Yes, you always had the entertainment industry, but there were a lot of European emigres who brought their high culture with them and did not abandon it even though they may have worked in the industry. (Andre Previn is as good an example as any.) Those people are virtually all gone. The only thing that matters today is the box office. The industry assumes that classical music is unsalable and "uncool," so it gets very short shrift.

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:47 pm

Modernistfan wrote:
Just to show how the commercial, lowest-common-denominator entertainment industry overshadows everything else in Los Angeles, the Los Angeles Times today did not even mention the classical Grammy awards last night, even though the Los Angeles Philharmonic, conducted by Gustavo Dudamel, won the Grammy for "Best Orchestral Performance" for Andrew Norman's "Sustain" (released only on digital, I believe). There was no mention of any classical winners, not even a bare listing, while pages and pages were devoted to commercialized pop junk, including pictures of women attending the ceremony (as usual).
For shame!
To be fair, how much time did you spend watching the Grammy's? And if classical music fans spend no time watching them, why provide anything for them?
I'm still upset with them giving a bunch of Grammy's to the Starland Vocal Band, over Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody.

barney

Post by barney » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:51 pm

Modernistfan wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:24 pm
Los Angeles has changed drastically over the last 50 years or so. Yes, you always had the entertainment industry, but there were a lot of European emigres who brought their high culture with them and did not abandon it even though they may have worked in the industry. (Andre Previn is as good an example as any.) Those people are virtually all gone. The only thing that matters today is the box office. The industry assumes that classical music is unsalable and "uncool," so it gets very short shrift.
That's a fair point about the industry, but it doesn't excuse the LA Times from not mentioning its own orchestra.

barney

Post by barney » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:53 pm

slofstra wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:47 pm
Modernistfan wrote:
For shame!
To be fair, how much time did you spend watching the Grammy's? And if classical music fans spend no time watching them, why provide anything for them?
I'm still upset with them giving a bunch of Grammy's to the Starland Vocal Band, over Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody.
The Grammy's are great! I spend at least 45 seconds each year looking at pictures of glamorous women in beautiful gowns, though I haven't got round to it yet. For the rest, forget it.

Modernistfan

Post by Modernistfan » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:00 pm

All right, to be fair, I didn't watch it, simply because the classical awards, in recent years, have been given out before the live telecast and never shown live at all, and I was not going to sit through an interminable program with awards like "Best Song in Bolivian Hip-Hop" or stuff like that. (No disrespect to Bolivian hip-hop intended.)

barney

Post by barney » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:09 am

My uncle's second cousin's wife's nephew's third cousin won that Grammy. How dare you be so disrespectful? How elitist of you!

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:56 am

barney wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:09 am
My uncle's second cousin's wife's nephew's third cousin won that Grammy. How dare you be so disrespectful? How elitist of you!
:lol:

That said, I agree that it is shameful that the L. A. Times did not even mention their very popular hometown orchestra & Dudamel winning a Grammy!

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:01 pm

You knew this was coming, right?

Modernistfan

Post by Modernistfan » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:16 pm

All right, I've been punked. The Los Angeles Times finally made up for its oversight, to a limited extent, on Wednesday, mentioning the Grammy for Andrew Norman's work, but still did not mention the other classical winners.

barney

Post by barney » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:17 pm

slofstra wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:01 pm
You knew this was coming, right?

:lol: :lol:

What a brilliant bit of research. Prizeless prize of the week goes to you.

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:07 pm

Took me all of 10 seconds!! LOL.

barney

Post by barney » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:45 pm

Modernistfan wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:16 pm
All right, I've been punked. The Los Angeles Times finally made up for its oversight, to a limited extent, on Wednesday, mentioning the Grammy for Andrew Norman's work, but still did not mention the other classical winners.
BTW, what does punked mean? It's an Americanism not familiar to these Australian ears. I know what a punk is, but that doesn't seem to fit the context.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:18 am

barney wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:45 pm
BTW, what does punked mean?
punked1) Humiliated completely, as in disrespected. See clowned.2) Bluffed out of a pot in poker.3) A big upset in a fight.Punked in verbial form: "To make a punk out of someone."1) Police officer #1: Damn that kid just ran off with my badge and the blow!Police officer #2: WTF! you idiot! you're supposed to pull your gun out with your badge!Police officer #3: You just got punked fool.2) Damn, that guy had 2 7 offsuit, you got punked man.3) Yao Ming took down Shaq? Yea he got punked.#punk#punked#clowned#dissed#bluffed#beat down

Regards, Len

barney

Post by barney » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:34 pm

Aha. Thanks Len.