WQXR's "20 Essential " Mozart recordings

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

maestrob

Re: WQXR's "20 Essential " Mozart recordings

Post by maestrob » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:44 am

Thanks for that list, Rach3. I was glad to see Perahia's set of the piano concerti and Szell's recordings of the late symphonies, both favorites of mine. Hogwood's set of the symphonies has just been reissued: I first bought those on reel-to-reel from Barclay-Crocker, and of course replaced them with CDs some time ago.

I'm a little less impressed with Mozart's operas in the older recordings mentioned, and would prefer to have more up-to-date recommendations. There are so many fine period instrument recordings available nowadays, yet none are mentioned! How about DVDs? I'm at a loss to explain their omission.

barney

Post by barney » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:38 pm

JohnF was always scathing about such lists, saying they were meaningless, and of course he was quite right. Nevertheless I enjoy them, without spending too much time on them.

I have most of the CDs on that list, and am interested in the ones I don't have.
Brian, I grew up revering those opera versions and have no real argument, and they are the ones (not Figaro, which I don't have inthe Jacobs account) by which I judge others. Still, I understand your desire for a crisper, faster, leaner style fashionable since the 90s. I enjoyed the Drottningholm (IIRC) versions which introduced this trend.

For the violin concertos, my personal favourite has always been Arthur Grumiaux, followed by David Oistrakh. For horn concertos, Tuckwell or Dennis Brain.
The Perahia concertos would be the first packed into my desert island trunk. Except now it wouldn't just be them, but his 140-CD complete works. (complete to that point, more or less.)

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:49 am

For the violin concerti, I have the Grumiaux, and am also very fond of Szeryng, which is currently on amazon for cheap with rave reviews.

The problem with such lists is that they don't reflect a coherent point of view. Some selections are put on the list by old guys like us who love older recordings that we grew up with, while other selections are put on by younger people who lack the depth of knowledge to judge properly.

barney

Post by barney » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:22 pm

maestrob wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:49 am
For the violin concerti, I have the Grumiaux, and am also very fond of Szeryng, which is currently on amazon for cheap with rave reviews.

The problem with such lists is that they don't reflect a coherent point of view. Some selections are put on the list by old guys like us who love older recordings that we grew up with, while other selections are put on by younger people who lack the depth of knowledge to judge properly.
Good point. Interesting to know how many - and who - compiled that particular list. When I was young, in the 70s and 80s (born 1955), I learnt about older recordings from Gramophone magazine, the Penguin Guides, and other reading, and pursued them. I am sure some younger people today must do that.
But generally, of course, you are right.

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:55 pm

Count me a fan of Rene Jacobs. And on this list, the recommendation is for Jacobs' Marriage of Figaro.
Never heard it. However, I have 4 Don Giovanni's on DVD. The only satisfying one is Jacobs. The worst one is the Joseph Losey fully staged movie version. It's so, so bad.

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:03 pm

I also can't believe that Davis/LSO would be the best Requiem on offer. I have no idea which version is best. I have listened to Neville Marriner's for years. And I like what Tafelmusik did with it, although the Rex Tremendae isn't awfully Tremendae with the small forces involved.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:50 am

Some serious/glaring omissions here regarding Mozart IF one thinks only of the music and interpretation.

Examples:
The Great Mass - Ferenc Fricsay/DGG, among many choices
Requiem - Bruno Walter [Columbia/Sony] or many others

Nah, I give up! I don't agree with much of it. I do concur about Grumiaux/Haskil, Perahia in the complete concertos (though there are many outstanding versions of these). Whoever makes up these lists, I'm sure, have never heard many of the recordings those here might select. And I further agree with John Francis … and like Barney, I like to see what they say, but don't dwell on these "picks."
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:29 pm

Lance wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:50 am
Some serious/glaring omissions here regarding Mozart IF one thinks only of the music and interpretation.

Examples:
The Great Mass - Ferenc Fricsay/DGG, among many choices
Requiem - Bruno Walter [Columbia/Sony] or many others

Nah, I give up! I don't agree with much of it. I do concur about Grumiaux/Haskil, Perahia in the complete concertos (though there are many outstanding versions of these). Whoever makes up these lists, I'm sure, have never heard many of the recordings those here might select. And I further agree with John Francis … and like Barney, I like to see what they say, but don't dwell on these "picks."
I like lists for various reasons, but this one does seem especially bad. I remember that NPO radio 4 had a reader poll on the top Mozart compositions, regardless of performance. I think it's a good reflection of the taste of today's engaged public, and I find little to argue with.

https://www.nporadio4.nl/images/2019061 ... temid=9370

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:34 pm

Thanks for the Radio 4 poll. Certainly reasonable choices,although I would have chosen a piano concerto other than No.26.

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:03 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:34 pm
Thanks for the Radio 4 poll. Certainly reasonable choices,although I would have chosen a piano concerto other than No.26.
There are five piano concertos ranked higher than number 26. Perhaps you saw that, or did you notice the list is in descending sequence by rank, i.e. top choices are at the end of the list?

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:58 pm

[quote=slofstra post_id=500862 time=1581530591 user_id=3122
There are five piano concertos ranked higher than number 26. Perhaps you saw that, or did you notice the list is in descending sequence by rank, i.e. top choices are at the end of the list?
[/quote]

Ye,saw.I would have selected No. 13,15,17,22, or 25 before 26, but that’s just me.

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:05 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:58 pm
[quote=slofstra post_id=500862 time=1581530591 user_id=3122
Ye,saw.I would have selected No. 13,15,17,22, or 25 before 26, but that’s just me.
[/quote]

Okay, but just so that we're perfectly clear, we are discussing what Mozart's sixth best piano concerto should be. :lol:

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:06 pm

slofstra wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:05 pm
Okay, but just so that we're perfectly clear, we are discussing what Mozart's sixth best piano concerto should be. :lol:
Yes.And 26th should not be.

barney

Post by barney » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:28 pm

Just being technical, K595 was placed behind K537, so we are discussing the fifth best piano concerto.