Pianist Benjamin Grosvenor live

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Pianist Benjamin Grosvenor live

Post by Rach3 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:31 pm

The Schumann Op.16 is not a work I connect with much.To my ear it does not reward much the effort of a pianist, works only if presented as a dark, arching vision reflecting some of the composer’s mental illness, rather than as a lighter, more episodic work.I of course recognize my probable lack of comprehension here, and certainly defer to the expertise and different view obviously held by Grosvenor. The Janacek was sensitively played, can stand with my Firkusny recording and all others I’ve heard. The highlight of the recital for me was the Prokofieff, Grosvenor’s performance adding measures of color and expressive nuance to even the efforts in my collection of live 1961 Carnegie recording by Rubinstein, an early Kissin selection on Melodiya , and a couple from 1962-63 of Richter. The Liszt was, however, a stunning, yet still wonderfully lyrical, live achievement.

Pianist, 27-year old Benjamin Grosvenor,May,2019,Barbican,London

Schumann: Blumenstück, Op.19 , Kreisleriana, Op.16
Leoš Janáček : Piano Sonata 1.X.1905
Prokofiev: Visions fugitives, Op.22 (selection)
Liszt: Réminiscences de Norma de Bellini

Encores: Grieg Lyric Piece, “Erotik” ; Ginastera Argentinian Dance No. 3, “Dance of the Arrogant Cowboy”.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000ds4h